Odd toenail growth since birth

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello everyone, I have had strange tail nail growth on 2 toes per foot since birth. I am 30 now and they haven't changed. The new nail groans under the old one and the old one falls off or I cut it off. There is never a end that you cut on these nails. They grow in a bubble shape. I do not know if it matters but I also was born with epidermis lysis bellousa. Here are some pics of the nails and if someone could identify the problem and give me ideas how to fix the problem I would really be greatful!

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag137/carolinacarconnectioN1/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20170115_011352_zpsevfv1wvn.jpg

Trimmed it recently.

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag137/carolinacarconnectioN1/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20170115_011410_zpscxt66smq.jpg

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag137/carolinacarconnectioN1/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20170115_011410_zpscyev5tqa.jpg

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ryanc5413, unfortunately I could not view the photos via the links above.

You can upload pics directly via this site by using a PC computer or alternatively by enabling 'Desktop mode' before viewing this page on a mobile device.

You will have to reply to your own post and then click on the icon on the top right above the text input field to get to the 'Upload image' interface.

• Posted

DanR here are the pictures. Thanks
  • Posted

Hi again. Thanks for uploading the photos.  

As a general feedback I would recommend to trim your toenails to a more rectangular shape and not to trim them too short. This will help prevent ingrown nails and associated injuries/infections.   

As far as the shape of the two toe nails goes, like you mention this could be something hereditary. 

Nevertheless, your other toe nails have a more uniform colour and are translucent. For example a fungal infection of the nail could account for changes of the shape and colour of the nail (on top of any inherited anomaly). 

If you trim the affected nails do they crumble or do they have crisp clearly defined edges?

• Posted

DanR here is a crude drawing of how my nails grow. One under the other with no end. This would be viewed from the side
    • Posted

From the drawing above I gather that you do not clip or cut the affected toe nails since there is no discernable edge. It appears that you rather buff or file your nails from the top of the nail plate. At least in one of the pics it looks like you went a bit too deep and it started to bleed. 

Searching the net you will find that some people with similar nail problems have experienced trauma to the nail or an infection (for example hand-foot-and-mouth disease). 

Maybe you could let the toe nails grow out for some time and then make an appointment with a podiatrist. It is likely that he/she has seen patients with similar nail abnormalities and can advise you further how to deal with your nails. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.