oestrogen cream

Posted , 2 users are following.

Has anyone tried oestrogen cream for IC? I have been having instillations at the hospital for 6 weeks and now have to go once a month for 6 months for further instillations but no relief from the pain when I go for a wee?? Would be interested to know if oestrogen cream would help. Regards J

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Edited

Hi Jean. I've come to learn the hard way that the symptoms of IC can be caused by low estrogen, especially if you're post menopausal. if this is the case, then estrogen cream (eg ovestin) can offer some local relief in the urethal area. it eased my discomfort to a degree but in the end I had to resort to systemic HRT - there is another option which i also found better than the cream and that's vagifem vaginal pessaries. without them and the HRT pills I would be housebound and unable to sleep due to bladder pain so they've been a life saver for me.

• Posted

Hi Shirley, thanks for your reply and advice. Yes, I am well and truly post menopausal ha ha!! Can Vagifem Vaginal Pessaries be bought over the counter? At the moment I wake every hour during the night in pain and needing to wee - in need of a good night sleep. I have just finished my 6 weekly treatment but not much better than when I started. I will try and obtain some Vagifem Pessaries - thanks.

Regards J X

• Edited

Hello again Jean. No, vagifem is prescription only but it doesn't carry the risks of HRT as its only absorbed locally so you shouldn't have trouble persuading your GP or urologist to prescribe it. There is also a drug I take called Mirabegron (or Betmiga) which reduces nighttime loo trips! I Know how you feel on that subject! it has helped me go from between 5-11 nighttime trips to 2-3 and no side effects (for me) other than weird dreams! My lovely urologist told me he's constantly having to make GPs aware of the connection between low estrogen/menopause and bladder pain issues. the lining of the bladder is just as estrogen receptive as the lining of the womb so both are affected, and it's miserable (to put it mildly!) Have you looked into the IC diet? its very helpful and i know that certain foods and drinks make my bladder very angry! lots of relief when i cut out caffeine (even de caf contains some so i drink red bush tea with milk) citrus fruits, hot spices, tomatoes, chocolate, carbonated drinks (even water) to name but a few... there's lots you can do with a kind, knowledgeable doctor on board. there is light at the end of the tunnel so don't despair (and no, it's not an oncoming train!)

• Posted

Hi, many thanks for all the info I will, on my next visit to Urologist, ask re this.

Regards

J X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.