Okay to have a couple drinks on tramadol?

Posted , 10 users are following.

Obviously, I know you're never supposed to mix medications and alcohol, and I never do.

I'm on 150mg of tramadol per day for chronic pain. Been taking it for several months.

I have a social event next week and of course there will be alcohol. Do you think 1 or 2 glasses of wine would be safe to drink considering my dosage? I could call my doc or a pharmacist, but I already know they would legally have to say it's not safe to drink on any medication. 

Just asking for opinions/advice here. Thanks!

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Well I'm no doctor but have had experience drinking while on Tramadol.  It's fine, especially if you're just having 1 or 2 glasses of wine.  I drink a lot more.  My advice, if you're worried about it, is to not take your full 150mg that day, maybe just take 50 in the morning.  Otherwise you might get overly tired.
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply. I used to be a heavy drinker but quit about 4 months ago to lose weight. I haven't had a drop of alcohol since. Wasn't sure about how it mixed with the tramadol either. I guess I will have a couple and only take my half dose that morning. Thanks again!
  • Posted

If you can limit yourself to this proposed 1 or 2 drinks, I'd say (from experience), no worries. But I didn't do that. I began drinking nightly beginning last spring and my system became so toxic, that it caused the worst symptoms I've ever experienced. Alcohol increases the chances of Tramadol addiction. And because of that I experienced withdrawal symptoms only hours after my last dose. I am now Tramadol free for two weeks, cold turkey style. And I only drink in moderation either beer or wine only, no hard liquor. If you can stick to the plan of only 1 or 2 drinks, you should be okay. But try to skip your evening dose before your social event that night. Best wishes.
    • Posted

I quit drinking 4 months ago to lose weight, so if I do have any drinks it would only be 1 or 2. Thanks for the reply!
  • Posted

This is one of those "your mileage may vary" situations. I suggest you do a test run, with a non-drinking observer. It won't hurt you, but you'd run the risk appearing foolish.
  • Posted

Go and have yourself a blast.  Let your hair down and enjoy yourself.  Its not as if you are going to sit there with a bottle and a straw and get blitzed.  See how you feel after the first one and be guided by that.  Out of choice; after the first glass of wine (white or red) I water it down with tonic water, as far as everyone around me is concerned, I am keeping up with  the rest of them.
  • Posted

NO NO NO, thats the answer, never drink any kind of alcohol when taking tramadol.
  • Posted

Youre not supposed to and you shouldnt but I always did. You can have seizures apparently. I was very bad for mixing drugs and alcohol though. Luckily I got away with it.
  • Posted

Tramadol stops me breathing if I try to sleep so when I was on it I never took it after 1pm. I believe that mixing it with alcohol increases the likelihood of respiritory depression, so I would probably say don't take a bed time tramadol if you've been drinking.
  • Posted

There are some stupid coments left about Tramadol and Alcohol so you make your own mind up wheher you want to harm yourself or stay safe by not drinking even a small anout. They peole that say they do drink knowing  full well that it is dangerous only have themselves to blame when they become seriously ill or even die.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.