Olanzapine withdrawal

Posted , 5 users are following.

Good evening all hope you are well

I have been on Olanzapine for 20 years.

started on 20 mg then went to 10mg, 5mg and now i am on 2.5 mg

i have tried many times to come off the olanzapine but ended up going back on them because the withdrawal symptoms were so bad

once my doctor told me to just stop taking the tablets and it was like i was coming off heroin the withdrawal symptoms were awful

My doctor has told me that I am prediabetic due to the olanzapine and that i should come off them

i am taking 1 tablet one night and then half a tablet on the other night and alternating like that

2 weeks in and i have withdrawal symptoms headaches, nausea, vomiting, diahorea, dizziness, insomnia, funny pain in the gland if my neck and generally feeling rough

just wondered if anyone had any help or tips to help me come off the medication

Thanks for your help much appreciated

Have a lovely rest of your weekend

kindest regards Janet

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I have been trying to get off 2.5mg of olanzapine for five months. It was so difficult, even with a very slow taper. Eventually, I decided to switch to Seroquel since it only affects seven receptors in the brain rather than Olanzapine's 17. Seroquel has less metabolic side effects as well. I am in the process of slowly adding seroquel and now only taking olanzapine every other day. I have already lost weight in doing so. I dont know if this is an option for you or if you want to be off medications altogether.

• Posted

You're having typical olanzapine withdrawal symptoms from tapering too fast.

If your medical condition allows it a slower taper gives less symptoms.

Taking the same amount everyday will give less withdrawal symptoms than alternating doses.

Consider buying a pill cutter, a precision scale, crushing the pill, making liquid suspensions, making powder lines that you divide with a ruler. The more precise method for tapering you choose the better.

Coming off Olanzapine after extended use is a narrow path. If you go too fast you may have severe withdrawal symptoms for a very long time. Some even die. Going up in dosage does not necessarily alleviate contracted withdrawal symptoms, time does. Going slowly with consistent dosing and a creative method to divide the tablet into reliable fractions is key. Support your health with healthy food, sleeping habits, exercise etc in the mean time. Good luck.

• Posted

Once we are on its hard to get off when going on. I do not think the drug itself causes too much problems, the real problems are the effects a person has from taking them, the drug causes hunger and a very relaxed mind. You should not have much withdrawals from stopping taking the drug. Just take it slow and gradually decrease dosage.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.