Olanzapine withdrawal

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have been on olanzapine for 20 years starting on 20mg, then 10my, 5mg, 2.5mg. I started reducing the medication to come off the tablets as my glucose levels were really high. Started reducing July 2020 and finally stopped taking the olanzapine 1/12/2020 during my time coming off the withdrawal was terrible, nausea, vomiting, diahorea, dizziness, light headedness, insomnia, headaches resting legs syndrome, quite a few times I thought of going back on them but resisted. Now since December 1st 2020 and we are in March 2021 I seem to be still suffering from withdrawal on and off but quite frequently lately. Even though i have been off the tablets for 4 months. Anyone else had these experiences months after coming off the drug. Any advice on what i could take to help me please as I feel so unwell. Many thanks for taking the time to read my message and any help would be greatly appreciated. Have a lovely evening and weekend. kindest regards Janet

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I know its really rough. I'm actually thinking about seeing my natropath because it's so bad. On the days I do take my little crumb of Zyprexa I do sleep, but on the days I don't i get little to no sleep at all 😕

• Edited

Hi Janet,

I once stopped taking 20mg olanzapine cold turkey and got terrible anxiety and problems sleeping and had to go back on it.

I've been on it at least 10 years and am only just trying to wean myself off of it now. I'm struggling reducing from 7.5mg to 5 mg and experiencing depression/tearfulness but hoping to tough it out.

If you read back this thread Daz has given lots of good advice on the best way to reduce, it appears to take a long time and the withdrawal can be really difficult. Most people seem to cut their tablets up (which is what I'm doing) as dropping from 2.5mg to zero seems to be the hardest part.

Sorry I can't be of any more help and good luck with your journey, hope you can get over these awful withdrawal symptoms.

• Edited

The general rule of withdrawal from psych meds from what i've read/heard is that the longer you've been on the longer it takes to withdraw. 20 years on the highest dose of 20mg you could possibley be in withdraw for years I would think

• Posted

I've taken Olanzapine for a month, now when I dont take it for a night I cant sleep at all.

Psychiatrists shouldn't be prescribing these drugs for sleep at all.

I am so lost as to how I should stop it now, I'm on 10mg at the moment and sleep around 6 hours (nor refreshing sleep).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.