Old style esa

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi messaging on behalf of my son he receives old style esa in support group i have read that the standard allowance in universal credit is getting increased for 12 months due to coronavirus but just wondering if old style esa standard weekly rate will increase also

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

No, unfortunately not. The old legacy benefits are not increasing, at least there's been no announcements up to now regarding this.

The only increase is the yearly one from 8th April 2020. Sorry i can't give you good news but i also claim the old Income Related ESA and also missing out on the increase.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply yeah it does seem unfair that both are not increasing feels like we being penalised for being on old style but hey that's the government for you

• Posted

I think the increase is meant for workers who are laid off due to the Cornovirus, who will be applying for the Universal Credit which is primary a benefit for low paid workers. ( But it includes those already on UC looking for work). We don't actually fit into to that. I am afraid the government doesn't want to help the sick and disabled. Only to get them into work.

I am more worried about the fact there is no SPD or enchanced premium for those on Universal Credit. Some male ESA claimants are fighting this in court and have won each court hearing. But still the DWP haven't added these benefits to the UC. More disabled need to challenge the DWP.

I have also heard that private tenants will be getting an increase in housing benefit, that will be 30% of the local rents. Although for many this doesn't go far enough. But it is good news.

• Posted

Worriedjoe,

Your thoughts on the UC increases due to Covid19 are incorrect. The Standard allowance increases are for everyone claiming UC and not just for those new claims and those looking for work.

Yes the local housing allowance is also going to be increased. Both of those are for a period of 1 year.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.