Omeprazole has ruined my life

Posted , 89 users are following.

I really regret taking prilosec, i fell ill with a virus last december that caused gastroenteritis (severe acid reflux and diarrhea).. i was told to take omeprazole for 14 day treatment.. at the time i did not experience any side effects so after the 14 day treatment was over, about a week later i experienced acid rebound that sent me to the ER. The er dr said i needed to up the dose to 40 mg 2x/day... and this is when i became more ill.. i had severe diarrhea for 9 days, blurry vision, brain fog, muscle twitching, cramping, body jolts before going to sleep, . i couldnt digest my food.. lost 10 lbs.. but i did not know what was happening to me.. i was so sick i had to have a colonoscopy and egd.. i was told i had unspecified colitis.. i stupidly cont this drug bc thats what the drs told me to do.. and as im trying to heal my gut from whatever virus i had i started to develop new symptoms.. extreme brain fog, memory loss, fatigue, anxiety, muscle twitching, buzzing in certain parts of my body.. frequent urination in am. I feel as if i have nerve damage of some kind because of this ppi.. after 4 1/2 months of this posion i have since stopped this med and it has been 11 days but my twitching is still there.. i know this drug caused these other problems bc as i weaned from 40 mg to 20mg to then every other day i began experiencing body jolts and more nerve problems, numbness in certain parts, etc. has this happened to anyone else and did anyone make a full recovery?? I need some help please..Before I took this med I was a healthy 32 year old. Now 33 and still recovering. Does anyone know if this is permanent? 

1 like, 376 replies

376 Replies

Next
  • Posted

HELL YES !!! - but I am on Lansoprazole.

I have just looked up the difference at https://www.expresspharmacy.co.uk/blog/posts/omeprazole-lansoprazole-difference There I read that Iron uptake is reduced and calcium loss is increased.

I have been taking Lansoprazole for ten years or more, then I developed massive twitching - RLS - basically, not restless but - as you put it - body jolts. I also felt pain in my joints so started taking Glucosamine.

Multiple doctors have said parts of this story, many have also ejected bits. Your story is the first to put them all in the same bunch as I have experienced. DO NOT take Lyrica or Sifrol to stop the jolts - you get adapted to them and they augment - forcing you to take more and more. It costs money.

I was told my 'jolts' were due to my massively low feratin levels. I had an infusion a month ago. So, it looks as if I have been taking Iron, Glucosamine and Sifrol to offset the side effects of Lansoprazole - for YEARS. I have been researching the crossovers between my ailments for years too. Your post hits the nail on the head. I am 60 by the way. OH YES, Brain fog - again YES.. Fatigue?? Homeopathy fixed my M.E. - Post Viral Debilitation Syndrome. Yes I know its rubbish - but - it worked in 20 minutes after 6 months... another story.

Sadly, if I don't take my Lansoprazole I start burping, then the pain comes - I'm told a heart attack is less painful. 

• Posted

Hi Simonron,

Thank you for responding. wow I can't even believe it! Everything I've been reading on this forum blows my mind. I'm sorry you have been through a lot as well with the ppi med.. Heres a question for you, have you tried digestive enzymes? Anyone on a ppi should take them to help absorb nutrients/vitamins. I had really low b12, iron, and vitamin d. I still take them and they seem to help. Also have you tried soaking in magnesium flakes in a bath.. this might also help with the RLS. Ive decided to go to a naturopath and see what I can find out. My current dr is useless. I asked her about a micronutrient test and she didn't seem to know.. nor did she know anything about ppi causing so many other issues. Ive seen 4 diff drs, 2 gi's, 3 er visits. Thousands of dollars later and I'm still not better.. Do you think you'll come off the lanso at some point? I also drink alkaline water that seems to help too if you have burning, etc. maybe look into that. Oh yes and probiotics are good too. The only dr that seemed to know was a GI dr at northwestern in Chicago, I switched gi drs bc I was going in circles. luckily he said to come off all the meds I was on and he told me to wean from 40mg to 20mg for 2 weeks then every other day for 2 weeks then every 3rd day for a week then stop. He looked at me strange like why have you been on this for so long.. he said its the strongest one.. so I guess thats a plus. 

• Posted

Sorry i know this has been here for a long time... who was your GI in Chicago? Dr Troy?

• Posted

Hi... How to you resolve the burning in stomach during period whereby reducing ppi? as gastritis or ulcer is not healed yet, stop PPI will let acid erodes lining of stomach n forever unable to heal. Any help for this from the naturopathy Dr or recommenation on natural herbs to reduce acid effectively , hope u can help me on this,

• Posted

Hi i had covid & also got all the same symptoms. but my stomach is really sensitive to everything. first I was told aloe vera but that irritated my ulcer. I was told that cabbage juice will get rid of ulcers. but because I was such a terrible bloating already cabbage can make you more gassy. then I was told by a naturopath chois mastic hum . But then I was worned it can make you constipated. Do you find being on the ppis that it's really hard to eat?

• Posted

Further - yesterday - before I read your post... I started taking pro-biotics - the good ones that don't just wash you with the yogurt - capsules suggested by the Doctor. OK, this is the same bloke who said there was no link - but hey, what does he know ? That could be a sarcastic comment, an ironic comment or simply stupid... I shall report back if I get any good results. I have stopped my Lansoprazole and started burping again - but - rather than take a pill, I took two spoon of high roughage cereal. I felt better at once, I shall take a spoon every so often to keep it at bay.

• Edited

Dear olivia53472,

As I read your post, I can relate with many with the nerve/muscle issues you are experiencing.  Currently, my main issue seems to be the fact that my traps and lats are extremely tight and this affects everything all the way down to feet.  I can also relate to the "numbness/buzzing"/tingling in the extremities as well as the brain fog.  I was on lansoprazole for about 3.5 to 4 years.  I was able to stop taking them in June 2016.  Unfortunately, I can't answer your question as to the duration of these terrible side effects.  I can tell you that my symptoms have slowly been improving.  The brain fog, for me, has gone away.  The other symptoms are still an up and down battle but nowhere near as bad as they used to be.  I get deep tissue massages in hopes that adhesions get broken to promote blood flow (uncomfortable but I think they do help).  I hope you get some relief real soon.  I hope the fact that you have not been taking as long as I, means that your recovery will be around the corner.  Best wishes.  Please keep me updated on your recovery and if some treatment modalities work well for you.

• Posted

Hi jhleerph!

Thank you for responding. Yes I will keep updating as I try to recover from this awful med. I'm sorry you also have nerve/muscle issues also.. I can't believe what I'm reading on these forums.. I had no idea. I really wish I would've researched more before continuing to take this ppi. Thats so great you were able to stop taking them! Some things that have helped me are digestive enzymes, a really good probiotic and drinking more alkaline water. these things seem to help at least GI wise.. I don't know what to do about my nerve issues.. my drs are useless except for my new GI. If it wasn't for him Id still be on the meds. I'm going to see a naturopath and see what I can find out. Best wishes to you also! Thanks for chatting.. let me know how you are doing as well. 

• Posted

are you still in these meds? ive been getting severe dizziness and brain fog which lead me to this forum. I've only been taking this for about 4 weeks but no more for what I've read

• Posted

hi i know this post is old but have your symptoms improved? i took omeprazole for about 3 years than was switched 3 months ago to aciphex,for a while i randomly had twitching in my face and hands and random numbness but didnt think anything if it,about a month ago almost overnight i developed all over muscle twitching nerve pains and numbess everywhere,also severe pain innthe trap area of my back,idk if this is related to the medicine or not i stopped it a week agi but symptoms are still present

• Posted

rebecca6357,

I still have the muscle tightness symptoms. No twitching; spastic (not spasms). It feels a little different now. It's a lot more localized in certain parts of my back rather than feeling all over my back but I still feel fatigued. I also have some shoulder and first/second rib restrictions that has made breathing more labored which, I believe, is contributing to the fatigue. Some days better than others. Seeing a chiropractor to address my symptoms. Have to be honest, chrio has been much better than doctors and PTs. Chiro at least tries to think outside the box. After chiro treatment, I always feel worse then better. It's weird. Like my body hates the treatment but then gives into it. Hard to explain. Good luck.

• Edited

You too??gosh health system i hate it ...im left basically brain dead and another gazillion symptoms on top of it all...im 37 mother of 2 yong kids i went from an athlete to being in bed 24/7 i barely function ,memory loss,no sense of self,disconnected,no sense of time,tremors,insomnia,depression,cant access my own thoughts im always in a confused state i cant function properly,ringing ears,eye floaters ,just basically a zombie ...ive have many tests and nothing comes up  .  They say its anxiety wich is B S   ..I cry everyday  because i cant have my life back ..i have so many symptoms but my worse ones is the malfunction brain ..its pure torture ..these doctors make me sick...they basically fried my brain after giving me meds for hpylori and on top of that they gave me more antibiotics  ..poor me the mess i was/am in ...my brain is fried i have brain pressure it hurts it burns i feel like im high or drunk in poison ....pls let me know if you found ANYTHING that helps i am desperate.... thank you 
    • Posted

Same story here.. back in februray this year i was treated for h pylori.. the wicked doctor gave me omeprazole for 9 weeks and since them i am not myself anymore.. i had panic attack on day one, then extreme depression, hallucination type feelings, extreme fear and anxiety as days went by.. then it all became chronic on week 5 till i couldnt even sleep or lie down in bed. i still continued the meds not knowing what they were doing to me and unable to understand the cause of my ordeal.. then came dizziness and blurred vision and loss of balance feeling.. now eight months later, i have no life, my mind is messed up, i cant control my thoughts or how i feel, everything around me seems hazy, have lost my job, cry my eyes out, scream with it.. basically i have gone mad and now on antipsychotics and antidepressants which dont seem to be working.. i have lost everything in short!! 
    • Posted

I'm so sorry 😢 I have lost everything too. I can't even go out with my kids and now living with my mom at 37 years old my gosh this is terrible. my memory is gone and left on survival mode I mean how is this possible when doctors are suppose to help ?! I talk to my family about it and they think I'm going bananas. well yeah I feel bananas I'm so lost and confused and symptoms come and go. I can't even sleep in my own bed without having the feeling I'm being plugged to an electric cord. how is this even possible ?? and doctors say it's anxiety ??obviously our bodies react to the horror that's going on. msg me anytime you need to talk I know how scary it can be. my mind has been to the deepest scariest places. I don't mean to scare anyone here at all ,I'm just talking about it to those who can relate. it doesn't mean that's whats going to happen as everyone reacts different. feel free to msg me 😢sorry to everyone who's dealing with this I know how difficult it is.

• Posted

what you have to do is reduce your dose slowly...buy yourself some empty capsules at the vitamin store, open your 4o mg Omeprazole capsule and remove 5 of the granules, pour the rest in one of the empty capsules and take it. Do that for 5 days. If you do not get rebound acid and the pain is tolerable the next week take 6 granules out. keep reducing until you teach a dose you can tolerate. its been 3 years for me and i take 99 granules out every day making it about a 31 mg dose. makes a world of difference.

• Posted

This is effect what I have done with my Lansoprazole. I used the capsules versions and have made one 30 mg capsule last a week. I think I can totally stop taking it now. It has taken me about three weeks, not three years, to do this. I am not yet aware of a massive reduction in my main side effect of body jerks - or RSI as some call it, but I have reduced my pills from three to two. I doubt I can drop further, but I may try soon. This slow reduction technique does work, but I do need ant acids to help me along.

• Posted

I've been off of Omeprazole for about a week and a half almost 2. I still have some symptoms, but far less. The worst of it all is the anxiety. Prior to taking Omeprazole I was a cheerful person, but now I have a debilitating anxiety. But, I've slowly learned to handle it. As I type this I survived my first full blown anxiety attack. It's important to eat at specific times or I feel iffy. Going through the day drains a lot of energy but it's a fight I keep fighting. Sometimes all you want to do is give up and throw in the towel because it seems like it will never end, but you won't get better if you do. All I want to know is how much longer this will last. I do want a rest from this all.

• Posted

i hear you.. i am 34 and now my parents are looking after me.. i have been crippled due to fear and trauma induced by omeprazole.. my vision is extremely blurry, my hands dont seem to work, my feet and knees hurt like a 90 year old... i have had scariest depression attacks leading to extreme crying where i thought i was gona lose it and commit suicide to free myself from this pain.. then upon the psychiatrists suggestion, i started taking quetiapine which is an antipsychotic but also an antihistamine .. since then the extreme fear has somewhat lessened and i am able to sleep at least.. and seeing few bearable days in between my misery.. but even on my bearable days i cant do anything except lie in bed and stare at my fone.. it feels like something inside me has died .. dont know if i ll ever recover... do tell me if you saw any improvemnt?

• Posted

how are you feeling now? any improvement? i still have extreme anxiety, blurred vision, depression attacks, extreme fatigue and crying ..

• Posted

Hi benny21592

We note from a recent post which you have made to our forum that you may be experiencing thoughts around self-harm. If we have misinterpreted your comments then we apologies for contacting you directly. But if you are having such thoughts then please note that you are not alone in this, and there are people out there that can help.

If you are having these suicidal thoughts then we strongly recommend you speak to someone who may be able to help. The Samaritans offer a safe space where you can talk openly about what you are going through. They can help you explore your options, understand your problems better, or just be there to listen.

Their contact details are on our patient information leaflet here: https://patient.info/health/dealing-with-suicidal-thoughts, which also offers lots of other advice on how you can access the help you may need.

If you are having such thoughts then please do reach out to the team at the Samaritans (or the other people detailed in our leaflet) who will understand what you're going through and will be able to help.

Kindest regards

Patient

• Posted

For those who say they have been off certain drugs for a short while, my experience (because I am sensitive to most drugs including 10mg omepr) is that is can take months to recover e.g. I had tamsulosin and took five doses and it took out my hamstrings so I was hobbling. It has taken two years for them to stop paining when I walk. I do have HH and take aspirin but the PPI is for protection as well. Took two 10mg spaced three days and this morning woke with palpitations. I have a feeling PPIs cause heart malfunctions like palps and feeling mushy brained. Conclusion is take aspirin and hope for the best. PS I am also sensitive to antibiotics, they cause my nose to bleed down the back of my throat. I only have to take one and when I blow I get specs of blood in handkerchief. Interested in others experience.

• Edited

I agree. I have been off omeprazole for 3 months and im just now starting to feel normal, but even still not 100 percent. Still get mid day brain fog slightly and anxiety. But that has been slowly diminishing. The worst of it for me is over and i feel bad for Anyone going through the bad effects of omezaprole

• Edited

i just stopped taking it. I ran out And didn’t get anymore, although i was planning on it. I didn’t feel any effect’s while taking them, but 3 days after stopping them is when all the stuff started. im glad i didn’t continue to take them

• Posted

omg i have ringing in ears. i thought there was something eeiing with my ears

• Posted

have you tried antidepressant ?

eggs really help with your serotonin levels and look at making other changes to your diet.

it will make a huge difference.

exercise daily aswell.

should all help with your symptoms mentally.

• Posted

Hi! I was wondering how are you doing? I was prescribed 40mg of Omeprazole just because of stomachache and doctor told me to just keep taking it. Took it for 8 months and since then, I wasn't myself anymore. I felt really fatigued, weak, anxious, muscle aches everywhere, started on my back, went to my neck and now causing dull headache that never goes away, then started having arms and leg pain. Now even my jaw hurts. I did 2 blood tests, and abdominal ultrasound but everything was fine. I saw a psychologist but after so many visits, she told me she thinks I am not depressed meaning nothing in my life is causing this feeling. I started tapering off since I saw 3 forums talking about the EVIL side effects of this medication. Hopefully I start feeling better when I stop taking this. I feel so horrible! By the way... muscle relaxant helped me. But once I stop taking it, all the aches comes back. I'm a mom of a 3yo so it's so sad to feel this way.

• Posted

Hello I have also been taking omeprazole and have suffered anxiety and have heart palpitations, chest back and jaw pain, tinnitus, dizzy spells and more. When you quit omeprazole how long did it take for you to feel normal again? I would much rather have reflux than this anxiety. I feel so awful and sick all the time. Please help!

• Posted

hi can i ask how long it took for you to feel better after you stopped taking the drug? 3 weeks off the drug for me and i feel the heartburn is getting worse? is there hope it'll pass?

• Posted

hey was wondering if you feel any better since you have stopped taking omaprezole?

• Posted

Same! ACUPUNCTURE. Booked an appointment with an acupuncturist and Ive had 2 sessions with her and the horrible panic feelings and everything else 2 ER visits later have started to subside almost immediately and I am currently 1 week from my last Omeprazole pill. She gave me a herbal remedy to promote detox and cleansing of the body that has anti-anxiety properties. Still have dizziness and some palpitations but NOTHING like the panic attacks and brain fog, fatigue I experienced for the first time in my life. PLEASE contact an acupuncturist to start detoxing your body of thus gawd awful poison and hopefully take some natural herbs/supplements meant to promote detoxing and healing your body. There are so many other remedies for heartburn and acid issues. I hope to feel back to normal soon as I only took it for a few days but the price tag and emotional and psychological damage is harsh. There is hope!

• Posted

just saw this post and wandered how long you were on this medicine?

i only took it for 7 days and it still has me messed up .

i have been off it for 10 days

• Posted

i have been taking it for 3 days and im exhausted weak dizzy very breathless i cant do much i feel really bad my breathing is bad but oxygen is brill

• Posted

i have been told it can take 1 or 2 months to get it out of your system. Wish i had never taken it.

• Edited

i took it and was twitching and it took away my brains abilitie to sleep. I only took 5 pills. that was 3 years ago and I still twitch some what , I have to do is eat a palm full of salt a couple times a day everyday to stop the twitching it strips sodium in body. also monolaurin and gastroease for the acid it helps me.

• Posted

What are the natural remedies to reduce acid in stomach from eroding the lining? Seems like only ppi works,.. But it cause acid rebound once stop. Been looking for replacement, thanks

• Posted

hey did you ever get over these withdrawal symptoms? im about a week off of it and i have really strange head pressure and muscle twitching all over body. did you ever have that?

• Edited

hey dbsmith, what are your symptoms after stopping? ive been off for about 10 days now and im having all sorts of strange issues.

• Posted

hi Anna, did you ever recover from your symptoms? I quit taking omeprazole about 3 weeks ago and still have very similiar side affects.

• Posted

If it took away your brains ability to sleep how do you sleep at night? actual question.

• Posted

Hello ana85762, I hope this info helps you. Im so sorry you are having a hard time with all of this. please hang in there it will get better but takes time.

Look up something called HPPD and, before you blow it off as not being what these drugs have caused look at the symptoms. It seems not only are illicit drugs causing this but perscription drugs as well. I have HPPD and took a prilosec and my symptoms were exasperated for almost a year. After reading your symptoms they seem to be very close.

• Posted

HPPD. looks like what i might be going through because of this medicine. also dull headache, palpitations and increased HR. i need to get off of

• Posted

hi are you back to your old self after stopping meds? how long will it take to see any improvement? they has me on pariet while having chemo for breast cancer and after reaalising the devastation this med does im angry at the so called medical professionals

• Posted

Hi, have you had your Active B12 not just general B12 checked by a blood test? I thought I had Alzheimers or was dying a year ago and it turned out I had an Iron & B12 deficiency. I had to gave an Iron infusion & B12 injections to get my levels back to normal. B12 absorption is affected by taking Proton Pump Inhibitors and like me you could be deficient. Look up on Youtube & Amazon for 'Could it be B12?' video & book by Sally Pacholock. It's something to check if you haven't already. I hope this helps.

• Posted

Thank you for posting this! I did a quick "wean" off 20 mg omeprazole after being on for a year. Today is two weeks off for me and I am impatient for these horrible side effects to go away! Still dealing with anxiety, brain fog, blurry vision and insomnia but at least not every day. But every good day I have I get excited and optimistic and then get knocked back when everything comes back again. Your post helps to give me hope. How are you feeling these days?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.