Omeprazole - Please help

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have been on Omeprazole for 4 years for acid relating to gall stones. I didnt have a clue how nasty it was and no Doctor has ever told me that I need to come off. Anyway I recently started having bouts of very very painful gas and bloating and I started looking online only to discover that this can be a side effect of the Omeprazole. I have weaned myself off the Omeprazole and now havent taken it for 12 days but the bouts of gas and bloating are continuing. I also feel really hungry early in the day. The pain from the gas is nearly as bad as the pain from the biliary colic that I get sometimes from the gall bladder. If the gas is being caused by the Omeprazole how long will it last now that I am off it and is there anything that I can do to help. Please help. Thanks PS I have a doctors appointment booked.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I have been on Omeprazole for 16 years and must say that I have not suffered any bad side effects. I find that if I try to stop them, the really bad acid reflux and pain comes back very quickly and unfortunately there is nothing else that seems to help. I used to try and cut back on them by taking Ranitidine, but that was withdrawn a few years ago and standard remedies like Gaviscon etc just don't cut it.

So I just stay on them as they do help tremendously.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.