Omeprazole problems

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone.I am new to this forum.I have had Barretts since the late 80's & have been taking Omeprazole ever since so that is approx 30 years!!! I read a post yesterday warning of the dangers of these drugs & have got very anxious now after reading it.I am a white male aged 55, 5' 6" & 9st 4lb.I do like my food & probably eat a lot of wrong things but in moderation.I have suffered with chronic fatigue for a number of years now & also quite bad insomnia struggling to get 2 hours sleep per night.I have also had slight anxiety/depression which I read is all symptoms relating to taking omeprazole, & feel my stomach is heavy all the time.I have had regular 2 yearly endoscopys,the last one being 2 years ago & they don't wish to see me for 5 years (3 years time now).I am talking to my doctor tomorrow regarding my concerns but could anybody advise me on maybe an alternative to omeprazole please.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Larry, can I say you give me hope!! I am only 31 newly diagnosed with Barrett’s and the fact that you have had it all these years eases my anxiety significantly! Thank you! As far as the Omeprazole have you been having routine blood testing done? Usually they should check for magnesium and B12 because of the medication can deplete these. Also maybe taking a calcium supplement could help or ask your dr. If you should be. Routine kidney function and cardiac assessment.  I feel that if you have been on it this long and everything checks out you should be ok just monitor those things 
    • Posted

Hello Vera.Thank you for your response.I am glad I have given you hope.I have been on omeprazole 40mg for I don't know how long.I did drop down to 20mg but things started to flare up again so went back to 40mg & now everything seems fine.The only symptoms I get now are clearing my throats after eating & slightly during the day.Sometimes my stomach feels slightly heavy & bloated but generally the Barrett's is under control.I have just seen the doctor with my concerns from reading things on the internet to do with omeprazole being so harmful.My doctor said that if everybody read everything to do with side effects nobody would risk taking any medication!!! I was told that due to Barrett's being linked to cancer there is no way out of taking omeprazole so will just have to keep on with it!!!. Due to my fatigue & sleep problems I now have an appointment to have blood tests for B12 deficiency & thyroid etc.I do hope your symptoms  aren't causing you too many problems.Best wishes.Larry.

• Posted

Hi - I have had Barrett's for approx. 7 -8 years and was on Nexium for the first 4-5 years. I had an overnight hospital stay due to a hip replacement and the hospital I was at would not give me Nexium even though I was prescribed it. They would only give Pepcid AC Max. On my next gastro doc visit a few months later, I discussed with my Dr. making the switch to Pepcid and he said that was fine as long as the GERD did not return. He said to take 80 mg. total per day - 2 - 20 mg in AM and 2 - 20 mg in PM. That was 3 1/2 years ago and I have been fine on the Pepcid AC ever since and can buy it on Amazon the cheapest. The Dr. prescribed generic Pepcid (fantamodine), but I had throat congestion with that. Due to allergies that I have, I think it must have been an additive in the generic med. So Pepcid AC Max is what I now take and have actually decided I am fine on taking only 1 at night now instead of 2. At least it supposedly won't cause the kidney damage like the Omeprazole, however I did recently read that it can lead to dementia. I wish there was a natural alternative to taking either med. But just wanted to let you know that I made the switch to Pepcid and have done fine, no side effects in the switchover at all.

• Posted

I too have read that PPI's can be very problematic, especially if taken long term... I also read that good old 20mg Pepcid 1X or 2X/day was almost as effective with much less risk... adding Gaviscon to the mix might be a very good move, if you try to switch to Pepcid...  Look into DGL and mastic Gum too...

I was just diagnosed with Barrett's, have to get more info, not sure if I have dysplasia or not... I have not had GERD symptoms for years, sporadic minor heartburn... but smoked for a long time, quit in 2010 and used to drink pretty heavy on the weekends...  maybe that is the cause...  I am not sweating it too much... will monitor and have a procedure done if necessary...  I am 62 and think I can outlast this...  GL to you!

• Posted

Hi Tucsonjj, can you provide a link or give a reference to the article about Pepcid being almost effective ? I would like to read it. Thanks.

• Posted

Hi, I have been taking 20mg of Rabeprazole everyday since my Barrett's diagnosis, which was in June of 2017. I am also very concerned about the long term use of PPI's. It seems that every other month now a study comes out indicating new health concerns/effects from long term PPI use.

Does anybody else here feel the same way about this ?

Cheers

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.