On omeprazole for 3 weeks, so unwell!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Pain in stomach few hours after eating, severe diarrhea, losing weight, doctor suspects ulcer or heading that way! Got put on tablets 20mg twice a day, initially helpled with stomach, able to eat again. However, week 2, started to feel extremely dizzy, heavy head. also now experiencing fluttering in chest and very anxious. So tired, no energy and feel very low. Stopped taking tablets 2 days ago, still not great, how long does it take before all these symtons start to go away? So miserable. Scared stomach issues return too, cant afford to lose any more weight. Bought aloe vera juice yesterday, not sure if this will help! My doctor on hols, see her next week.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi grier, hear we go again, yet another victim of this wretched medication, why are they still be given out i dont know. Theres a whole list on hear under another heading, i cant rememeber what it was but there are loads of people suffering the same symptoms as you and worse, my own mother was one of them, Aloe vera juice is refered to being an internal healer so yes carry on with this and also take a good quality brand and strength pribotics as well. i take both and dida tablets to with all natural ingredinets in for bloated tummy, works, now a flat tummy.

Alow a week or  more for the omeprazole side affects to wear off.

Sue

• Posted

Hi susan, Ive gone from going to gym 4 times a week and being quite a happy soul to struggling through work then home to couch, wondering if im going to have a heart attack or summit. I have an 8 month old puppy and feel i dont even want to take him out in case i faint, scary stuff. Just seems to have happened to quickly! Im definetly going to try treat myself the natural way, no more omperazole for me, girl at my work is supposed to take them for stomach as she has lots of other tablets to take for arthritis, she cant take them either as she is so dizzy. Hopefully feel slightly better tomorrow, day 3 off them. Gonna up my fluid intake too, more water instead of my usual 10 cups tea!
    • Posted

Hi Grier yes def more water a good idear too, these tablets should be banned, i watched my mum deteriate before my eyes on my weekend stay up hers, thankfully i found on the net they were also stopping her life saving meds from working too! took her to the doctors who then looked them up on screen, oh she says yes it does say this doesnt it, right we will erase them from your repeat prescription, also gave her statins just to prevent high cholesterol, results  severe aching legs to the point she could hardly walk, turns out this was the side affects from the statins which by the way she didnt really need, they checked her cholesterol and it was fine anyway. grrrrr  took her about three weeks to feel normal from the omeprazole, her legs improved after a couple of days of no more statins, shocking isnt.!

Sue

• Posted

Hi - sounds like an unpleasant reaction. I had to change to Gaviscon after using Omep for about 10 years as it was affecting my muscular-skeletal system believe it or not. Gaviscon has no side effects and you can take as much as you need. I guess it all depends on the underlying problem, there are many of course, but obviously Omep is a tad strong for you and is also something you want to avoid taking for any length of time. Check your diet, avoid acidics, take something more neutral like Gaviscon.

Someone on this site recommended this to me and I will always be in their debt.

• Posted

Hi Grier, I have every sympathy with your symptoms. I personally did not experience the diziness whilst on the omeprazole but I did seem to get more aching joints. I was worried that the omeprazole was stopping my body absorbing iron from my diet.

I stopped the omeprazole 3 months ago. Initially I had gaviscon to help. I cut out tea, coffee and dairy and wheat! This was incredibly difficult and I lost a lot of weight. I am very small anyway and am now trying to put weight on. I tried to cut out the acidic foods and have alkalising foods. Avocado, almond milk, potato, dried fruit. I did use gaviscon too, liquid and tablets. Gradually I have re introduced foods but I am very careful. Chocolate, fizzy drinks and cream are triggers for me so I avoid them. I was  considering going to a dietician for help. I hope you manage to get rid of your symptoms. You need to eat and drink but it is the right foods for you. There is  a lot of information on line. I drank lemon in water which helped too. Good luck with it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.