One leg is now longer than the other !

Posted , 14 users are following.

Went to hip class today after seeing the surgeon and a physiotherapist twice . The female OT took less than three minutes to observe one leg is now longer . The bad leg . It seems they have made me taller ! No wonder one leg felt so off kilt . If I

Stand on the bad leg I am off the floor with the other one! She said it can happen in about 20% of cases and is referring me to podiatry for a shoe raiser/ implant . I went into hip class hoping to come out like Shakira and instead it's long john silver !!!😳😳

2 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Oh no bless you , I hope I man the opposite when I have mine and become a little shorter 😂

• Posted

I'm like you but mines an inch short on bad leg, going orthotics to get shoes made, bet they will be rubbish hope you get decent ones, how bugs your difference

• Posted

HI ...I was the same and did not really notice it, it can change as you wear in the new implant, cant be all that much, are you having both done, then they will correct the difference then...YUK! I know...let us know what happens....Ian.
  • Posted

Hi there my op leg is 1 inch longer than other

when I do my exercises my op leg scuffs the

floor have gel heal raisers in shoe put hopeful

it will come right with time. Big hugxxx🙋

• Posted

I don't know what the difference is yet but if I stand on bad taller leg the other good leg is now off the floor ! Being referred to podiatry for a shoe thingy .. She did not say it would eventually be ok . Said she would contact the surgeon to tell him . Will measure it tomorrow !

• Posted

Hi Hazel my left operated leg is longer also. Im doing hydro terapie

and i hope it will setle down and then both legs will be same

Length

my right leg apparently need to be done as well and i have appointment in March. Hopefully it will come right with time .

Cheer up, hug Madla💗

• Posted

Good luck with the hydrotherapy . Such a shame you have to go through it again

But at least you know what to expect now ! X

• Posted

hi hazel, 

how long ago was your surgery?  Your body is still healing and adjusting from this major surgery - not only legs, hips are involved but also your pelvis - Pre-surgery my right leg was shorter due to compensating (limping) - Post surgery my surgeon told me that this leg is now a bit longer and will settle - but then other hip started to act up and got surgery 5 months later ... 

Apparently your surgeon and PT didn't notice it ... 

What made OT tell you?   Before you get shoe raiser please make sure you really need it ...

how was the hip class otherwise?  

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hi Renee

Well I told her it felt a bit odd walking so she watched me walk and then did a few tests and told me ! Bit worrying as the first physio watched me walk and said I was fine ! It sort of feels like if I put my weight into bad leg the other one really comes off the floor ! She made me sit on a chair with back and pelvis right up against the chair back and looked at my knees ..

And sure enough one is longer than the other ... If you drew a line across my knee caps it would not be straight ! She also put a wedge under the good foot and said how does it feel and it felt much more even and comfortable . It does not bother me that much as it may sort itself out as you say and I am 5 foot 7 anyway so not losing much . Just feels odd walking !

She showed me some clenching exercises and sort of lunges .. All gentle .

Hugs back to you

Xx

• Posted

Hi Renee ,

I feel like Hazel ,when i walk its not so bet just slight .limp but if I stand on my

feet for to long i have to sit down because my short leg

started nurting.i hope the hydro therapy will sort it. I was told

by my surgon not to put anything to my shoes yet. Well my second leg need to be done any way like I mentioned before. My operated leg is not nurtin much just some time but that is probably normal. Im working in nursing home and i do like it. U usually have a good advice. Sometimes im down about the leg.

Hug to u Madla💗

• Posted

Hi Hazel

My operated leg is now longer than the non operated leg. Its because the implant they put in is like having cartilage back to support the hip bone, your other leg obviously has lost cartillage hence why one leg is longer than the other. My consultant said it should sort itself out in time, however if you have to have the other one done then u will be nicely balanced up. It is annoying when you first have it done and I don't know about you but my back aches because of it. I just hope it won't be long before my other hip gets done then I'll be balanced up nicely. Do look into getting a heel raise though, but make sure yr consultant approves it as mine told me he didn't want me to do this as it wouldn't be the right thing for me.

Hope you manage to get something sorted out.

Julie-Ann

• Posted

Hi Julie-ANN

Im same like you ,my operated leg is longer. I was told it will

sort itself out in time. My next leg have to be done as well hopeMarch or April. Im doing hydro therapy now i hope it will

Help. So fare my back is ok but if I stand on my feet for to long than my non operated leg which is shorter started hurting and i have to sit down. Im nearly 8 weeeks after hip sergery. I was told by surgeon not to put nothing in my shoes yet. When I

Walk its not so bed except slight limp.im glad i see your post

Madla💗

• Posted

Hi Julie Ann

My left hip is normal thank god so no balancing up for me . She is writing To my surgeon to say there is a leg length discrepancy and he may say go ahead with shoe lift or he may want to see it himself or maybe leave it .

I am not sure how much it differs but I do know that if I stand up straight and tall on my operated leg the other one actually leaves the floor ! I am , well was , 5 ft 7 ...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.