One sided sore throat for 6 months

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have had a sore throat for 6 months on my right side. It is right under my jaw area in the corner. I have done antibiotics twice. Just had two wisdom teeth removed three weeks ago as a last resort. I believe the pain is in a lymph node. When I swallow I feel it. It is radiating the pain somewhat now. I am very afraid as leading up to this, I've experienced weird symptoms such as my jaw feeling tired, neck pain only on the right side at the base of my skull, sudden loud ringing in ears, and head pressure. What gives?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hey Portia, 

My husband is going through much the same thing. He thinks it is peitonsilliar abscess, but we have yet to confirm that with a doctor. He has all the exact same symptoms as you. He is going to set up a doctor with an ENT (again, 3rd time) and ask if they think it may be that. 

So far the first thing they told him was allergies, then they said acid reflex, then they said that it was from a pulled muscle in his neck that caused a knot in the muscle which is pushing up against his esophagus causing the "lump in throat" feeling (after they said that they referred him to a physiotherapist but its not working). Basically, they have been giving us the runaround. I came on here looking for answers but seeing that you are going through the same thing he is I thought it may be helpful to share our experiences. 

If we find out something or if the doctor thinks that that is what he has I will update you and let you know. If you find out something do you mind to let me know? I would definitely appreciate it. Thanks!

Oh also, do you still have your tonsils? one of his is swollen along with his lymph node.-Katie

• Posted

Hi Katie,

I still have my tonsils. I've looked at them and oddly the one on the left side is slightly bigger. So I don't think it's my tonsil. I see a doctor on the 15th who I hope will refer me to an ENT. I have been freaking out mentally with thoughts if cancer. It's taking over my life. I will definitely keep you updated. I have to figure this out.

• Posted

OK thanks so much! 

By the way, my husband got a CT scan of his and they said it's not cancerous, so if the cases are the same I am sure you are in the clear. 

However, I completely understand. We were freaking out too until the CT confirmed it wasn't. 

Looks like you will be in to see the Dr before he does. We can't get in anywhere soon it's ridiculous! 

Anyway, thanks in advance for your update on the apt., sending good vibes your way.

-Katie

• Posted

Been there! Have had issues with pain and lymph nodes exactly where you described. This may sound odd. But in addition to taking extra strength Tylenol, add Flonase daily. I thought my doctor was nuts. I could barely get air in my throat due to both tonsils being so enlarged and then the back of my tongue started swelling! Strep test negative, said it was viral. I would also massage from behind my ears and down my neck as much as possible to "get things flowing". However, I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND making an appointment with an ENT ASAP or going back to your doctor for a CAT SCAN. I'm not one for antibiotics, but after two courses and wisdom teeth removal, you've gone through enough! The film's for your wisdom teeth should've picked something up though.

• Posted

Hello I've been dealing with a left sided sore throat for 6 months and the ct was normal. they say silent reflux or postnasal drip but i cannot get it to resolve. Did you get any answers?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.