Operation had two days ago.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone, I have now had my operation two days ago to remove my Ctomna which included removing some bones and drilling my mastoid.

I have a few questions for people who have had this done.

Is it normal for the top of my ear to still feel numb two days after?

Obviously I have the packing in my ear which gives a full feeling, will this feeling continue until it has been removed and also is it ok to keep cotton wool in it all the time to catch the drainage?

My neck feels stiff when I move, kind of like my stiches are pulling is this normal?

The pain is bearable nothing major but hurts quite a bit when I eat is this also normal?

One last question should I use hydrogen peroxide to clean around the ear or will TCP be ok?

Thank you.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I have not yet had surgery for a  cholesteatoma but i do have the condition myself. I cannot offer any post op advice but i do wish you well. I hope you have a speedy recovery. 
  • Posted

Hi Darren,

I had an op 5 days ago to remove a cholesteatoma, but I think my bones were unfused rather than removed. Sounds like we might expect a similar recovery.

The top of my ear is still numb - I was told that this would remain as they had to cut some nerves when they went in behind my ear. However, I think it feels -slightly- less numb than it did just after the op.

With regards to the packing, mine has come out slightly but there's still a lot in there - I was told to just ignore it and keep it dry when showering. I think it'll feel full for as long as it's in there and you have swelling in your ear. I seem to be experiencing a lot more dizziness than other people I've noticed! I think this is to do with the swelling and maybe even the packing too as if I touch my outer ear I immediately feel dizzy. sad this makes me feel sick along with the smell of the antiseptic wadding in my ear.

My neck has also felt stiff and tight with the wound - this is getting better with each day smile

I've been wondering the same thing with cleaning the wound behind my ear - I was told nothing about what to clean it with, just not to rub it when washing my hair.

How long did your op take just out of interest?

Hope you have a speedy recovery!

Best wishes,

Camilla

• Posted

Hi Camoulin.

Yes it sounds like we will recover around the same time, my wound like yours is feeling better each day I think the pain peaked two days ago which was the night I come home.

The worst pain I get now is when I am eating and every so often a stabbing pain in the ear which is actually very painful for only a second or two so no need for pain meds, last night I was eating a burger and must have chewed a bit too hard which was actually excruciatingly painful for about 5 minutes it made me stop eating and be very careful.

Unlike you and others I have not actually had any dizzyness yet but neither did I get it before the OP when the Ctoma was inside.

After doing a bit of research I have discovered not to use hydrogen peroxide to clean the wound or ear lobe as this can slow healing, not just with this operation but in general. I went to the chemest to get some TCP but unfortunately they were out but the chemest recommended Dettol antiseptic (not disinfectant)

What I do is fill half a pint of water and put one tablespoon of Dettol in and carefully clean the wound and my lobe.

Hope everything goes well for you.

• Posted

Hi Darren,

Oh that's interesting about the dettol, thank you! I'll get some and give it a try.

That's annoying about the pain you've been feeling - sorry to hear that. at least we know that will continue to get better. I definitely underestimated how interesting the post op experience would be!

I've just ventured out into humanity properly for the second time since coming home and despite nearly walking into a couple of doors, starting to feel more human. I didn't actually have any dizziness prior to the procedure so still hoping this will leave!

Best wishes,

Camilla

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.