Operation site hard a block of wood!!!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm Day 12 after THR, Though I'm fairly pain free and mechanically very good-I can walk without crutches and have full range of movement, on the site of the incision l have a horrible sensation-as if a block of wood has been strapped on extremely tightly. I've had this since Day 5. It makes sitting and lying down very uncomfortable and is hampering my ability to walk normally. I'd be grateful for any comments

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

Adhesions (scar tissue) start forming immediately after surgery. It's your body trying to heal. I was in horrible pain at the incision site as well. Finally, a nurse told me to massage the site as often, as firmly as you can without undue pain to keep the adhesions from forming knots. A massage oil helps a lot. Good luck and keep me posted.

• Edited

see your surgeon or PA... there is so many different reactions to the surgery site after thr .its tight feeling due to healing and scar tissue. it will loosen up in time. try message gently over the area. that is what helped me thru that stage. it does take awhile to adjust . sometimes its a build up of fluid a hematoma...in the area , in time the body will dissolve the fluid and it will soften.

your description is actually very good because that is exactly how it feels along the incision. your very early in the healing process. congratulations that you have had a good healing journey . soon you will be dancing in the streets and living with a greater understanding of this important surgery and celebrating a huge improvement in mobility and a better quality of life.

after 3 thr surgeries i am very happy for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.