Opt out organ donation

Posted , 7 users are following.

hello all, i am making a business report for an opt out scheme for kidney organ donation 

as people with CKD, what are you opinions on this?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Can you explain more
    • Posted

Yes, so at the moment for organ donation you have to sign up online or with your drivers license to say if when you pass away you'd be happy to donate your organs

im doing a report on what would have if it was an opt out scheme - so you'd have to go online to say you DONT want to donate your organs

(this is all hypothetical, just wanted to get some opinions on the topic)

• Posted

Thank you, I like the idea of having to opt out. I carry a donor card but don't always carry it so I think it's a great idea

• Posted

I'm sure you'll find a lot of support in this group for some sort of opt-out donor program.  My opinion is that it should be something that's built-in to the process of renewing one's driver's license.  As in, at the point where your driver's license expires and you go to the licensing office, when you're filling in all the forms, the agent will ask you if you'd like to opt out of donating organs should the worst occur and you become ...deceased?  In other words, unless you say 'no' and tick the 'no' box at that moment, you are automatically opted IN.  It gets notated on your driver's license that you are a donor and that's that.  Seems straightforward to me (but what do I know?).  Can't really understand why people would be adverse to such a thing.

?My two cents.

• Posted

Hi Mike,

We already have this in Wales.  It has been well received an in process for a year now.

• Posted

Don't understand the question

• Posted

On the contrary , I believe a whole lotta crime happens by men in suits if one says they're a donor. Also I don't believe in getting a license to travel in my car....I don't believe in asking the creeps for anything personally

• Posted

I really do hope you have secured the relevant ethics for this... particularly if you are quoting individuals directly.

In terms of an opt out scheme, they do this already in Wales; so that would be a good place to start, especially if you are evaluating this in practice.

Personally, I think it is a good approach to organ donation. If people are considered competent to make such decisions, why not. I have seen the statistics re organ transplant and mortality; too many people are dying. I don't think awareness or educational campaigns will see as much sucess as this might.

• Posted

Hi,

This is already in place in Wales so it is something that is already in process.  Everyone is automatically opted in and when you die your organs where possible are taken for donation.  If you want to opt out then you have to log in and change your preference.  As it is already happening in part of the UK it may not be long before all area's follow suit.

• Posted

There's loop holes in everything and I would find it...nobody makes me do anything

• Posted

Hi,

You are not made to do it that is why you have the right to opt out if you wish so that way you have a choice.  Everyone has a choice in what they do and no one should feel forced to comply with something that is not their wishes.

• Posted

i have been in support of opt out for many years, ever since i got my donor card in the early 80's.

• Posted

I am on dialysis, kidneys useless, heart damaged and several other problems.  Should I die accidentally out of the area where I am treated, how would anyone looking for organs know that mine were useless before they were harvested and examined.  They can have them for research if that is any use.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.