oral thrush not responding to treatment

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have had oral thrush for 11 months. It has not responded properly to 2x 2week courses of fluconazole,  i see a brief improvement initially but it stops improving before the course is finished. After exhausting all treatments, drops, gel, tablets my GP requested bloods, 6 phlebotomist appointments later Still no blood as my veins collapse and i just end up with horrendous swellings and bruising. I havent had antibiotics for years, no inhalers or any of the obvious causes. 11 weeks ago I was referred to maxillofacial which was allegedly a 12 week waiting list. Now i found out that due to problems at the hospital, the waiting list is now 22 weeks meaning i have to wait even longer and gp tells me that after the initial appointment i will ve put on yet another list for a biopsy. He seems frustrated and quite concerned, voicing concerns about hiv (-ve test after seperating from ex 10 years ago) leukemia and hepatitis. I am feeling increasingly ill. Fatigued, loss of appetite although not losing weigt at a rapid rate, sore throat (candida can be seen in throat) the last few days im having problems swallowing solid food although maybe this could be due to relux which is a recent flare up of an old problem. I had surgery for a hiatus hernia 7 years ago, and was told this could return after this period. I am feeling quite worried and as though something more should be done by now. Im generally a fit and healthy person, not pronw to coughs and colds although i have frwquent bouts of diarrhoea of late. Apologies for this running so long but i need to know what are the appropriate things to say/request of my gp when i sew him again on wednesday after this coursw of fluconazole is finished. Thankyou

Carole

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Have you been tested for diabetes?  Apparently oral thrush is five times more likely in Type 1 diabetes but I know that vaginal thrush happens in Type 2 diabetes. For more than two years my twin sister had been having almost constant vaginal thrush and no amount of medication would clear it up so I tested her blood sugar and it was higher than normal. She went to her doctor the next day and was diagnosed with diabetes - this was her ONLY symptom.As soon as she reduced her sugar intake and went onto medication her thrush cleared up.  Perhaps this is something you could think about.
  • Posted

I have just been through the same problem, being diagnosed with Thrush but it kept returning on a day by day basis... Eventually I went to my Dentist and without even looking she diagnosed Lichen Planus!! An Auto Imine  Disease just a thought! Go see your Dentist, good luck

Louise

• Posted

Louise has just reminded me.  My sister had lots of trouble with soreness inside her mouth and she was also diagnosed with lichen planus.  As she hasn't mentioned it lately I wonder if that was made better by the diagnosis of diabetes as apparently there is a connection between the two.
    • Posted

I will have to get my sugars checked as they were borderline on my last diabetes test, thanks Spindles

• Posted

Caroline, you have my sympathy.  I am in the same boat, well, sort of!

Have you tried using Corsodyl mouthwash?  It does clear the thrush but it also stains your teeth and after a while, your sense of taste changes.

I have cicatricial pemphigoid, mainly in my mouth but also on my skin.  I have been taking steroids for 3 years, hence the thrush, and methotrexate for 10 months.  I am under a Dermatologist, he referred me to the MaxFax people at the beginning of last December and I finally saw a Consultant last Sunday but didn't achieve anything with her.

My Dermatologist put me on Solvazinc [soluble zinc 125mg, three times a day] to 'swish and swallow'!  This did help with my mouth a little.  Perhaps if you have something as well as the thrush, zinc would help you.

It is worth trying the Corsodyl, the generic name is Chlorhexidine Gluconate.  Clean your teeth prior to using it, then you should keep on top of the staining.

• Posted

Hi, yes the dentist advused corsodyl. Ive used it for last 3 months but no change. Gums still bleed for no apparent reason and the thrush isn't being helped by it.x
    • Posted

The other thing that occurred to me, was that you mentioned a hiatus hernia, has anyone told you to take Ranitidine or similar, for GORD?  If you don't actually have thrush, it could be an oesophageal reflux, which causes burning, in the same way that thrush does.

I wonder whether a referral to the ENT people might be quicker than the MaxFax people.

• Posted

Never thought of ent! I will ask gp on wednesday. I take 30mg lansoprazole daily. He did say that thrush in oesophagus can xause reflux. I may request endoscopy too. 
  • Posted

Well I have been referred for a scope. Blood tests all fine so no HIV or hepatitis, blood count fine so no immune problems. Whatever it is is swelling up my gullet... unless its down to acid reflux. Fed up now. I just want some pringles. 😆
    • Posted

Hi Caroline

If thrush still a problem try unpasteurised sauer kraut juice ( you can try making sauer kraut yourself, it's not hard)

It helped my friends daughter quite fast

Best wishes!

• Posted

Hope they can sort it out for you Caroline
  • Posted

Hi Caroline have you ever had treatment for abnormal cells after a smear test this is when I started with lichen planus 
  • Posted

Hi Caroline, I can now tell you that I am on my 4th month of Fluconazole but I still have oral thrush.  It is finally beginning to recede a little.  I have no idea how long I will have to take it for.  I have had to stop MTX because of the side effects, maybe that will help until they give me something to replace it.

• Posted

Ive had it also for a while now and i would suggest lemon water with atleast 3 to 4 slices of lemon no ice. And buy either a 20 oz sprite or a 2 liter and dont just drink it straight up use it as kind of a mouth wash bc the carbonation will help kill off aome of the unwanted bacteria. Take a swig and leave it in for about 5 to ten seconds im guessing near the back of your throat and tounge area and spit. Do that till you see some results and after a while start swallowing bc some of the bacteria is good. You may experience some slight diarrhea which i have as well but it seems to have cleared things up nicely

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.