Osteomyelitis pain after treatment

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello, when I was 13 years old I had osteomyelitis in my left knee, around the growth plate area is what I was told. I underwent two different surgeries and had two rounds of IV antibiotics. I am now 19 years old and am living with horrible pain in the knee that had the osteomyelitis, I've recently had x-rays and MRI's done that show no signs that the infection is back but they also don't show any reason in why I am in as much pain as I am. My orthopedic doctor is at a loss as to what to do to help me with my pain, I was put on arthritis medicine that didn't help at all. My doctor wants to try cortisone shots and physical therapy, and at this point I'm at a loss at what to do. When I got osteomyelitis my doctor made it seem like it was going to be a done deal once the infection was gone but sadly that just isn't the case. I currently have a mobility assistance dog that helps me with being able to walk and other tasks that have been limited due to the pain and how it is starting to affect my other knee, hips and back. If anyone happens to have any advice that could help me figure out what is going on.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

i had osteomyelitis I in my left ankle, four surgeries later and three months IV antibiotics. The pain never stopped, my initial injury was a torn ligament that required surgery to repair. I went through many tests as as attempt to figure out why i was still having pain. I went to a pain management Dr and was diagnosed with CRPS. CRPS is a painful Condition some days my foot feels like its on fire other days its the nerves jumping electrical shock feeling. My foot is almost always cold to the touch and turns a shade of purple. I dont know if thats what you have but its worth looking into. CRPS also spreads to other limbs. I hope this helps 😊

• Posted

I'll definitely look into that, I've done a little research on it and I match a few of the symptoms. I'll be sure to talk to my doctor about looking into this

• Posted

Hi I'm very sorry to hear about he pain you are in, but how were you

fort hat 6 year period after the infection was gone?

• Posted

At the start I didn't really experience any pain, I would have moment when I would have flares but nothing to the point of what I'm dealing with now. The mobility in my left leg has gone downhill pretty quick within the last two years.

• Posted

I was always told by both neurosurgeons and my infectious disease doctor that the only real way to tell the infection was gone is to go inside you which I refused. Physical therapy (aquatic) was the only thing that got me back to a tolerable life. I take Celebrex as needed now

• Posted

I had osteomyelitis in my left tibia from the knee down to the ankle when I was 13 years old and it was a chronic reoccurring infection. between the ages of 13 and 23 I went through multiple operations with IV treatment. a23 they wanted to amputate my leg. I would not allow that and I walked away from the doctors and I dealt with the pain and the drainage in my leg and I walked away from the doctors and I dealt with the pain and the drainage in my leg until I was in my late forties. I finally went back to the doctors because I couldn't stand it anymore. they didn't operation call the muscle flap acted with the antibiotic beads put me on and I biotics once again but this time the surgery worked. I have been in constant pain with this disease my whole life. Eden after the surgery that worked I still had constant pain I am now in my mid-60s. I am grateful that I am not packing my leg with gauze I am grateful that I am not packing my leg with gauze and keeping it wrapped. I do continue to have constant pain. I could not find any reason for it nor could any doctor diagnose. as in the first reply as in the first reply I figured out and learned all of complex regional pain syndrome. I have been taking Gabapentin 800 mg three times a day and I've been taking 800mg of ibuprofen three times a day to fight the pain. I will not go on opiates as I do not want to deal with the addiction. I have found it very difficult to live with. I would suspect that you have the same situation with complex regional pain syndrome. Most doctors do not even know of this and are unable to diagnose it. because of so many operations I missed my education in my teenage years. unfortunately you may have to live with this pain for a lifetime. my best advice is to try to avoid is to try to avoid opiates and while you are young try to get your education in something that you can make a decent living at. myself I chose to get into real estate and I did very good at it but it was something that did not need an extensive education to get. and unfortunately in 2008 due to the real estate crash I was pretty much destroyed financially. because I did not have an education in anything other than real estate I was forced to go on disability it's enough to pay my bills but that's about it. it is very difficult but this is something you can do while you are young it's get your education and something that you will be able to do for a lifetime. my best wishes to you. may you find your way through life despite the bad cards you've been dealt.

• Posted

I took Gabapentin 600mg three times a day from when I got out of the hospital last April thru July. I was always given paper work from CVS with the refill about being stopping and being weened off. Even slowly stopping it caused major headaches, agitation, and sleepless nights.

• Posted

I am currently going to college to get a degree in computer science so that I have something that's not too physically intensive that I can do. I've tried ibuprofen and that hasn't been able to take away the edge of the pain. I've also been put on diclofenac and even that didn't seem to help take away the pain. I can't take opioid so those are off the table, at this point I'm learning just to live with the pain and the issues that it has caused. I'm going to look into the CRPS, some of my symptoms match so its worth looking into at least.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.