Osteonecrosis

Posted , 5 users are following.

my consultant is suggesting i go on ALENDRONIC ACID for my osteoporosis . can anyone help me with any knowledge about the risk of osteonecrosis please?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

My wife asked that and was told it was a 1 in 10,000 chance. She quite soon developed Osteonecrosis of the jaw.

• Posted

I should have also said that she was attending Maxillofacial on other tooth problems when she asked the consultant the question.

• Posted

I have had a look on the NATIONAL OSTEOPOROSIS SOCIETY (NOS) web site and it states this:

Osteonecrosis of the jaw in those taking bisphosphonates for osteoporosis is very rare. The estimated incidence is between 1 in 1,000 and 1 in 10,000 per year of bisphosphonate use. The incidence for injectable bisphosphonates and

for denosumab is likely to be similar. There is a small amount of evidence from the research trials that suggests ONJ risk increases slightly more if bisphosphonates are taken for a long time. 1 in 1000 is a high risk.

I feel that 1 in 1000 is not rare. i would say the chance of winning the lottery or dying in a plan crash is rare. if you where told that when boarding a flight you had a 1 in 1000 or 1 in 10000 chance of it crashing i think you would conclude that you were not getting on that plane.

My dentist asked me how long i had been on this drug which was 6 years. My dentist wanted me to stop taking it but obviously that is not his discision. i asked the doctor if i could come off the drug and was told they wanted to keep me on it for another 2 years. I then did some research and decided to stop the drug immediately. this is my own choice and has not been influenced by anyone else apart from research and media info. I suggest that you do the same thing as there is a lot of info out there, then have a conversation with your doctor to see what their advice is.

I am not advising you to take a particular course of action but I would look at the info thats available and make an informed descision. Have a look at the NOS web site as there is a lot of good info there.

• Posted

thank you all for the good info

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.