osteopenia

Posted , 7 users are following.

I hada bone density scan yesterday and the there was clear ostopenia in the femoral neck -2.4. My question is should I ask for medication other than D vit which I have been taking for years. My main worry is having another fracture. I fractured my shoulder in January and it is still not back to normal and my fingers are very stiff. Also being a diabetic, that was the reason I fell I had a hypo.

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

No, you should avoid OP drugs at this point.  There is a great deal you can do to improve bone density through diet, supplements and appropriate exercise.  The major cause of fracture is falling so the best thing you can do is make sure you are as strong as you can be and have a good sense of balance.  Tai chi helps with that.  Exercise shoudl include weight bearing exercise like walking, using a weighted walking vest if you like.  Some people use free weights, although I haven't tried them myself.  Both tai chi and Nordic pole walking can improve bone density, and certainly improve strength. You should take a few things as well as calcium and D3 - magnesium and K2 are particularly important because they make sure the calcium is properly absorbed into bones, where you want it to go, not deposited on the walls of blood vessels or in organs where you don't want it.  Vitamin K2 can be a bit hard to get in the diet (not same as K1) so you will probably need to get a supplement.  There is quite a lot of information on the internet about it.  A diet that avoids unrefined carbohydrates and sugar will not only help your bones but will also help your diabetes.  smile

• Posted

OOPS I mean refined carbs of course - avoid refined carbohydrates!
  • Posted

I was diagnosed with osteoporosis in Aug. 2016. At first, I was hesitant to take any type of medication, but both my gynecologist and internal medicine doctor highly recommended to take Alendronate Sodium tablets. I read there are many side effects, but you have to look at the risks vs. the benefits. You should consult with your doctor what are the best ways to prevent getting osteoporosis since you have osteopaenia.
    • Posted

The best way to prevent osteoporosis is through the natural methods I outlined.  AA and similar medications work by interfering with normal bone remodelling and can only be taken for a few years before the risk of side effects becomes too high.  Challenging the bones to build themselves up by weight bearing, and giving them the tools to rebuild themselves effectively through diet and supplements is the safest way for someone who is still only at the osteopenic level to go.

I have same diagnosis of osteopenia, have had a fracture, although probably not a "fragility" fracture, but have chosen the natural route and feeling better than ever.  Don't have results of my second DXA scan but will post results when I finally am told them.  

• Posted

How soon did you have a second DXA scan after you were diagnosed with osteopenia? 
    • Posted

One year.  They won't do them any closer together.  Getting my results is like pulling hen's teeth.  I will see my GP in a few weeks and she has asked for the full reports to be sent to her this time, not the useless summary we got last year.  If my results are good, either stable or improved, I probably will wait about three years.  I have been taking prednisone for polymyalgia rheumatica, this being a fairly serious risk factor, but am now at a much lower dose than last year when I had first scan.  Fingers crossed!

• Posted

Anhaga is correct, Calcium, Vitamin D-3, Vitamin K2-7 and magnesium are the most important along eith a well balanced alkali diet
    • Posted

In Aug. 2015, my vitamin D level was only 12 ng/ml.

I wasn't drinking milk, or taking any Vitamin D  or calcium supplements at the time. Also, I'm lactose intolerant, so I don't eat that much dairy products which has calcium. Now, my vitamin D level is 34 ng/ml. I have been taking a multivitamin and Calcium and VitaminD. Also, I drink 1 cup of lactose free milk ever since I found out my low Vitamin D level. I just need to do more weight bearing exercises and walk more oftern.

• Posted

Are you able to eat leafy green vegetables?  Some of them (not all) are good sources of calcium.  Collards, kale and broccoli are all considered good.  Some, like spinach, have calcium but it's not very bioavailable.  You can also get calcium from the bones in tinned salmon and sardines, if you like them.  Some kinds of beans are good.  Dr Google is very informative.

• Posted

Yes, I eat wild salmon, kale, and brocolli, but not as often as I should. I probably eat it twice a week. Thanks for the info.

• Posted

It's the bones in the canned fish which give you calcium, but the wild salmon is a fantastic food in its own right.  Love salmon!

• Posted

Did you get your results and if so are they better, whose o just the same with out medication and only supplements?
    • Posted

I won't get them until I see my doctor at the end of the month.  

• Posted

Osteopenia does not warrant medication anyway. In Australia, drugs are never prescribed for osteopenia. 

Older women, in particular, would be very fortunate not to have this result.

Go natural...exercise and supplements.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.