Osteopenia and lower back pain

Posted , 2 users are following.

My back pain started in early July. Originally started in lower right side and radiated to pelvis, now it has become all lower back and hips/pelvis hurt when i do sciatica based exercises. I now have occasional numbness in left foot/hand.

GP has performed various blood tests and urine tests. All normal. (Liver just outside of range).

Had an x ray and I have Osteopenia. Await a dextra test next. (My mum had osteoporosis.)

This would not be causing any back pain would it? Could i have done something to my back that the x ray didn't show up? They seemed to just x ray lower back and right side. Could I have a pinched nerve?

Feeling very depressed over it now but continuing to do sciatica exercises as stretching does help. No pain on walking (can walk 10miles) pain on sitting or working ( I am a cleaner and have been since 2004) Any advice gladly received on what I should be asking GP next

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Osteopenia describes ordinary bone thinning, common with age, which is not (yet) osteoporosis. Your first line of treatment should include exercise, good diet and probably a few supplements (Vitamin D3, Vitamin K2 - not K1 - and calcium, as well as a few others like magnesium, boron, and so on) not bone medication. If the bone thinning continues to progress you should also be assessed for secondary causes of osteoporosis, also before any bone meds are prescribed. The bone meds are treatment of last resort, so don't let any doctor tell you otherwise - it's easier for them, but definitely not easier for the patient.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.