Osteoporosis and Osteopenia at age 45!

Posted , 5 users are following.

I broke my back a few years ago slipping on ice. I just got around to having a bone density test a few months ago. Diagnosed with Osteoporosis in my hip and Osteopenia in my other hip and lower back. They said that they were concerned because I haven't hit menopause yet. They said to buy Vitamin D 3 and to do weight exercises for my hips and back and just come back in a year to see how I am doing.

I wanted to know if I should start taking a "women's 1 a Day Vitamin" along with the Vitamin D 3 (2000 IU)? I also saw an Orthopaedic and he said, "Yeah, sure..." but he also prescribed me Fosamax and it made me so sick!! Any advice is so appreciated!!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Some of the information in an account I wrote of my own "journey" may help you. My situation is different but the advice should be relevant to anyone with low bone mass. One thing I would add, however, is whether tests have been run to find out if there is a cause for your bone thinning. A couple of people have posted over the years about problems with the parathyroid glands (not same as thyroid) causing bones to lose mass, and once that problem was sorted their bone density improved. If you do have a problem like this it's unlikely that any medication or nutrition or exercise will help much so, especially given your age, the doctors need to rule out any treatable reasons for your bones to be losing mass. You really don't want to be on a bisphosphonate for more than a couple of years, and other drugs, especially denosumab (Prolia) are more problematic.

The best Vitamin to add to your regimen is Vitamin K2 (not K1). Info in my essay!

Google healthunlocked my osteoporosis journey

to find my account.

• Posted

hi could you tell me which magnesium tablets as there seems to be different type of magnesium .i have PMR for eight years on steroids up down presently on 9mg predniselone after badly sprained my knees and getting a lot of shin bone pain now .thanks .

• Posted

You should go to a store/shop where they can give you guidance. There are different ways to get magnesium, not just tablets or capsules, including even a bath or foot bath with Epsom salts. There are many foods high in magnesium, magnesium being to plants what iron is to animals. And you can get magnesium supplements which are absorbed through the skin.

• Posted

I agree with everything Anhaga said and have little else to add. A few things to emphasize mainly....

K2 is important and also D3. You can check levels of calcium and vitamin D in your blood tests.

What you eat is important as well. Yoghurt is excellent and bone broth that you make yourself with bones and lots of veggies is another key one. Research foods that are recommended to support bones like avocados and prunes.

Some people who have been diagnosed with osteoporosis were found to lack magnesium.

Look at everything carefully for causes and try to do this minus the drugs if you can. Research the drugs as well.

There are support groups on Facebook and elsewhere.

All the best, Kathleen.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.