Ostoporosis Meds., Bone improvement and Side-effects?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, is there anyone out there who has been taking Osteoporosis (OP)  meds. for some years? If so:

1) What med. are you taking?

2) What, if any, improvements has there been in your bones (eg. bone density, other) ?

3) What, if any, side-effects have you experienced, and what did you do about this?

We have had long debates on this forum about the safety and effectiveness of many OP meds. but not a lot of first-hand information/comment from long-term users.

J

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Juno

In reply to your questions

Diagnosed with osteoporosis in hips (-3.5) and spine (-5.2).

1) 2011. Began with Alendronic acid - unpleasant side effects, really did try to "get used to it" but ended up with a damaged oesophagus.   

1b) 2012. Strontium ranelate (Protelos) for 1 year. No side effects but doctor advised against continuation because of cardiovascular risks.

1c) Six monthly injections of Prolia began in October 2013. No side effects.

2) No longer have osteoporosis in hips. Awaiting up to date reading for spine.

I exercise regularly - weight, strength and resistance training, walking,  Pilates and Zumba and try to eat healthily.

I also take: 

Calcium with magnesium and boron

Vitamin K2

Liquid Vitamin D3  - particularly during the (UK) winter months.

Not too sure whether I qualify as a long term user - perhaps not, but perhaps it may help in your research?? 

M

• Posted

Hi Mary D,  Thanks for the reply. I'm not actually doing any research. I was diagnosed with OP (t-score -4.5 in spine, hips ok) 2 years ago and have been prescribed Actonel and Forsteo - both for one year. No side-effects for either really. Now I'm resuming the second year of Forsteo and the plan after that is to return to Actonel for 4 years. 

There has been a lot of focus on bad side-effects of OP meds. and I was just wondering how everyone else was doing re. this. 

So you have basically been on treatment for apx. 3 years - AA for one year, Strontium for one year, and Prolia for at least 6 months. . . .

I gather you haven't had a repeat Dexa scan to check for improvements.

I also take the Calcium (if I don't get it from diet) and Vit D.  

Kind regards, J

• Posted

By using the word "research it was intended as my expression  "for you  wondering how everyone else is getting on" . 

Had another Dexa scan after coming off Strontium, hence me discovering I no longer had osteoporosis in hips - hurrah!  

I had another full body Dexa scan last week and am waiting for results from that-  fingers crossed! 

5th Prolia injection planned for October 1st.

I wish I could find out for how long or how many injections I should have,  although doctor seems to think I should continue injections for another year and says Prolia stays in one's system for a year after discontinuation.

Not too sure she is correct about this,  as I have read it only stays in for six moths - hence the twice yearly injections. 

No aches, no pains - long may it continue!

• Posted

Well done with the hip scan result! Hope the spine one shows real improvement. After my 2 years of meds. My spine went from -4.5 to -4.0. Still very bad, hence the advised second year of Forsteo.  . . . 

So you're on Prolia two and a half years then. From my reading, it is usually advised for 3 years apx. but some doctors continue for longer. And after that it's back to the bisphosphonates. As you have had problems with AA, I'd say your doc. may suggest Aclasta infusion once yearly for a couple of years (it bypasses the stomach) and then scan again.  . . .  The aim is to prevent further fractures, and hopefully it will. . . 

Dare I ask how old you are Mary? (you don't have to answer, you know).I'm 63.  J

• Posted

I am the same age i was a few weeks ago!!!! I'm 73.rolleyes

Incidentialy reading Sue's mention of muscle pain reminded me of a pain I had in the left side of my cheek shortly after beginning Prolia.

At the time I hadn't connected it with Prolia.

Went for dental check up,  no problem there, didn't want more pills from doc so had two sessions of acupuncture. Pain went after first session - the follow up was just a precaution.

Worth a try??? 

• Posted

Hi Juno

I have osteoporosis in hips 3.5 and spine average 3.6 - was put on Alendronic acid but was taken off after only 5 weeks as my pain levels had gone way up. My back hips and spine were really aching more than ever, but the pain in the leg bones was all new, with increased neurological pain in the leg.

I've been off it for a week with a very slight improvement so waiting to see if it settles back to my normal pain levels when they will decide what to try next.

I am taking Adcal D3 along with my usual supplements of zinc, magnesium etc.

Wondered if anyone else had had additional pain with AA and if so what else they had tried.

Am not having a rescan for 2 years.

• Posted

Hi Sue, muscle pain seems to be a side-effect of AA. Side-effects have been found to be more common in AA generic form instead of the patented Fosamax. . . .I know it sounds odd, but nevertheless true. Although the med. itself is exactly the same, the 'mixer' (I've forgotton the word) is different. One form disolves more quickly in the stomach and enters the bloodstream faster and this can make a difference.  . . .Maybe talk to your pharmacist about this.

Having a re-scan in 2 years is standard as improvement is very slow, and it must be on the same machine - so you're comparing like-with-like. Take care, J 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.