Otitis Externa any help welcome

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, I had a mild earache 5 days ago which started to get worse, i went to the doctor after my ear went deaf, he said i had a sin infection outside the eardrum calling it Otitis Externa, i am on Antibiotics and a antibiotic medical spray for in the ear, im on day 5 now but the pain is getting worse down my neck, jaw, teeth and the top of my head and eye, i have been using a hot waterbottle to help ease the ache, but on the inside of my ear is very dry and exremely sore, does anyone know if putting some vasoline in very small amount to ease it, would that make things worse, i am hoping to go private to a ENT and see if they can help, how much worse does this get befoe any improvement. Thanks Kerry

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kerry, if you can't get in to an ENT within 2 days, go to emergency and get treated by an ENT there. Ear pain is shocking and you need to find out what is happening and why it's not getting better. Sometimes the debris in your ear needs to be sucked out by the ENT so that the drops can get to the infection to treat it. You may need a different type of ear drops. My daughter went to emergency with an agonising ear infection. After a couple of days of not improving I went to an ENT who said she should have had different ear drops. Always good to get a second opinion when extreme pain is involved!! Good luck x
    • Posted

Thank you, i now have an appointment for this evening, i don think there is any pain like this, glad you got your daughter sorted. Thanks again x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.