Over 70 and been diagnosed with CKD3A?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi I am just looking for experiences of people over the age of 70 who have been diagnosed as having CKD3A but feel fine and feel 'medicalised'

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

The thing about chronic kidney disease is that it does not often have significant symptoms so your feeling fine is normal. Depending on the underlying cause CKD 3A is reversible or at the very least containable. If you are on medication to achieve this then I can't see how that is being "medicalised". I take your point of course. Doctors are often 'prescription happy' but don't think that this applies in your case.
  • Posted

Yes, I'm over 70 and have CKD3A (not far from moving into B!).  If what you mean by being "medicalised" is that you have been found to have high blood pressure and put on BP meds, or have been found to have diabetes and put on diabetes meds, then that is normal procedure as both high BP and diabetes can cause further deterioration in the kidneys.

​I have been led to understand that CKD3 is little to worry about providing the situation is stable.

• Posted

What if a patient decides they do not want to treat Stage 3 CKD? I went to a nephrologists this morning. I have known for several years that I had a kidnney disease when I was a child. I had nephritist. I knew my kidneys were damaged at that time. I did see another nephrologist for the last 8 years twice a year. He has retired and the new nephrologists told me that he wants me to do several things this other nephrologists did not make me do. I am not sure if I am going to continue to see this new nephroloigst? I realize that my kidney disease is getting worst but I have been told previously that there was nothing that could be done about the problem. This new nephrologist says there are medications now that can help the problem. I really do not believe this new nephrologist.
    • Posted

What if a patient decides they do not want to treat Stage 3 CKD? I went to a nephrologist this morning. I have know for several years that I had a kidney disease when I was a child. I am now 70 years old. I did see another nephrologist for the last 8 years but he recently retired and he remonded this new nephrologist. I do not like this new doctor. He wants me to do several tests and I do not want to do them. I was told but my previous nephrologist that my kidney function was nothing to worry about. This new nephrologist tells me there are medications I can take that will help my kidney function but I do not want to take medications on a daily basis.
    • Posted

Can I ask what's your eGFR?

And do you have any blood or protein in your urine

• Posted

I do not know what my eGFR is? I also do not know if I have protein or blood in my urine. My new nephrologist wants me to have a urinalysis before I see him again in a month. I am not sure if I am going to go back to him or not. I am at a point in my life where I feel I want to stop all tests.
    • Posted

Sharon, if I were you I would at least ask your new nephrologist what medications he is talking about and what they will achieve.  He might simply be referring to supplements such as Vitamin D which kidney patients are often found to be deficient in.  If there are things that will help to keep your kidney function stable then surely they are worth trying - at 70 you have many good years ahead of you yet!  I, too, have CKD3 and, at 73 years of age am hoping that I can be helped to stabilise my kidney function, especially as I only have one anyway.
  • Posted

I do not know what is in my urine. I am suppose to get a urinalysis done before I see my new nephrologist in a  month. I am not sure if I am going back to him or not. I do not want a bunch of tests done. 
    • Posted

Hello Sharon,

These tests are not invasive and might help you keep as healthy as possible.  Often people find that once diagnosed with CKD, their kidneys do gradually deteriorate.  You can hopefully slow this process down if you keep an eye on your blood pressure and other blood results.  Good luck.

• Posted

Hello,

I have CKD and am 73.  My GFR is 24.  Generally I am in good health. I have to take an iron supplement daily and recently my folic acid and B12 levels have been low so Ihave to have B12 injections every 3 months (not started yet) as my GP says my folic acid needs to increase first.  I started taking tablets tewo days ago.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.