Over Active Salivary Glands and Constant Mucus

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi, over the past few years I have been finding that I have more and more saliva in my mouth.

- I also have a thicker (mucus-like) saliva constantly coming from the roof of my mouth.

- I am a mouth-breather as my nose always seems to be blocked, and this is causing some dental problems (such as swollen gums) and tooth decay.

- I have a small, soft bump just under my tongue on the floor of my mouth, so this may indicate a salivary gland issue.

The saliva and mucus are so constant that I find it difficult to talk now, so it is really interfering with my daily life. I would appreciate any advice on what could be causing the excess saliva and mucus, and what treatments might work for this. Thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

This is probably totally irrelevant but when I was  fitted with ONE false tooth, I started to salivate more. This is perfectly normal, I later found out, but perhaps the mouth is trying to wash out a foreign body.  If your teeth are fine, this is a false lead of course.  Tappy
  • Posted

I am a mouth breather too as a result of sinus problems and produce mucus which does not come down my nose but gives a constant post nasal drip down the back of my throat which I have to swallow. I blame this for the formation of tonsil stones which in turn makes me constantly have to clear my throat. I've tried cutting back on dairy products, alcohol and taking probiotics. The California Breath range of toothpaste, mouthwash and sinus and nasal drops provide some help and make the tonsil stones easier to remove but haven't entirely solved the problem. This hay fever season tends to make it worse. The doctors just seem to want to give nasal sprays to dry the sinuses out but they are strong and give me a constant headache. I think you should get your mouth checked out though 
  • Posted

With me it seems to start at the back of my mouth and go in long strings apparently all the way down!  I have had slight difficulty in both swallowing and breathing so this doesnt help to say the least.   Have you heard of anything to combat this or even know what name it is given  Best of luck  Neil
  • Posted

Hello I've been having the same problem for years. I blamed it on smoking so stopped. The mucus as cut down but now I have got some kind of substance covering most of my teeth. Done lots of research to find it could be acidity and GERD look it up see if your symptoms match smile all the best Peter

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.