Over worrying

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hey everyone, this is the first time i have posted on anything like this.  I have had this feeling in my throat for a while which feels like i need to keep clearing my throat, it comes and goes and thought i was having throat issues.  Recently it started to feel like something was stuck behind my nose and was making me cough and gag.  I went to the doctors and she said it sounded like anxiety, to just monitor it over the next few weeks.  I was not convinced it was anxiety to be honest but since that day i have started feeling anxious, butterflies in my chest, feeling tense. I have a lot of work which is done to dealines and the deadlines are tight so i do get stressed with it, on top of that my boss is aggressive and unnapproachable and he intimidates me so i get stressed everytime my phone rings as i think its him.  I have always been able to handle the stress and leave it at work on weekends and enjoy my weekends but lately i am having this tense and butterflies feeling at home even though i am not thinking about work.

On top of this i have a history of worrying about my health, everytime i have something wrong i think its something serious but once i realise its not serious i calm down again, so its never been something that felt out of control but since the stuff above with my throat, i find its starting to get out of control.  I am overthinking and worrying and now i am worrying about worrying which just seem ridiculous.  

I have an appointment coming up with my doctor but i am worried they are going to put me on anti depressants as i really dont want that.

Anyone had a similar experience?  I have read lots about CBT being good for anxiety and worry.   Part of me wonders if i should just look for a new job but then i will still have the worry problem even if it becomes low level again.

Thanks.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Could be sinus problems. Trouble is once someone pins a diagnosis of anxiety on someone then it sticks.
    • Posted

Hi Jack

Lemon and honey is good until you get this troublesome feeling sorted out.Also glycerine syrup obtainable from the chemist.

I was told to avoid milk as it thickens the phlegm.

Jane retired nurse.

• Posted

Jack

At this time you need to wait and see what your GP advises regards your throat. You could try Throat Losenges, they may help, there are many viral infections this time of the year and it may be that, although your GP has this signposted as Anxiety.

With regards medications,, just because you need to take these drugs once does not mean you will need them for extended periods, they can be given for a medium period of time and eventually you will be ok

You mention your Employer and your work position being stressful, some people do have problems with their throat and develope a nervous cough that eventually will disappear.

Regards CBT You can be reffered for this and it will generally revolve around coping techniues, that may involve Breathing Exercises and Relaxation Techniques. Mindfulness is mentioned in Related Information as are Breathing Techniques, you could give both a try before your CBT and that may help.

You could try drinking milk with some honey to relieve the possible problems you have. Try different treatments before you see your Doctor, a great deal of treatment in the UK are self help these  days because of rationing of Mental Health Treatments

BOB

• Posted

Hi Scrumpy.

It sucks doesnt it... It all gets overwhelming and then you get into cycle. anxious, worrying, fear then physical symptoms.

I went through all the same agonising what if's in my head. I didnt know wether it was work or worrying about health etc etc that was causing it . but either way i knew i needed to get some help.

I saw my GP and we discussed CBT , self referal on line and within 4 days they had rung me.. i must have sounded desperate on my referal form lol.

Any way i found it very beneficial. I also started mindful meditation daily too, and this was great too.

I am almost there now tonnes better . still have the odd physical symptom but through mindfulness i now know how to accept it and concentrate on the breathe and they pass.

It helps stop worrying about the worries from the past and the what if's of tomorrow and retrains the brain to stop wandering off down the negative thought pattern.

Sorry for waffling hope this input helps.

Cheers

Gill

• Posted

Hi,

Trust me, your not alone on this one.

I experience a dry mouth, lose of voice, keep on chocking, tightening of the throat, feel like there is a lump there, trouble swallowing, and mucus keep clearing my throat. Yep mine is anxiety. It's just horrible and the more I think it's throat cancer the worse it gets and the worse I get. I start to have pains in my left shoulder then heart race's, numbness to one side of my face and puns & needles down my left arm and fingers, not forgetting the ice prick pains in my head and sore scalp.

I've had enough of it, it's a horrible illness, I try to think positively and it starts to get better but I'm a fool and start thinking again so it starts all over again. I'm in a bubble.

• Posted

Hi, what you are describing sounds exactly like a symptom of anxiety. One thing with anxiety is that you just cannot bring yourself to believe they doctors diagnosis. Rather than sit in your house googling and worrying yourself, you should definitely go back to the doctor and tell them you are still feeling this throat thing, if anything it will put your mind at ease having it looked at again.

Once you have found out again that there is nothing wrong with you (i hope!!) then you need to bring yourself to accept the doctors decision. This is a main factor in health anxiety. If you manage to accept the decision then the thoughts about this particular illness/worry will slowly subside and go away.

With regards to the job, if you are otherwise satisfied with your current job then I would say do NOT let anxiety make you quit!! You can get through this honestly, and if you are really struggling you could always take some time off for yourself? However if this job is not something you feel particularly strong about then you could try finding a new one I suppose. My only concern would be that the anxiety follows you there and it happens again with a new job! This is why I am suggesting to tackle the anxiety head on and say I am in control of myself, my life and my job and anxiety cannot stop me.

Good luck

• Posted

Hi Everyone,

Thanks everyone for the responses.  It really does help to know that i am not the only one out there feeling this, as cliche as that sounds.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.