overactive bladder

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am 50 and have suffered from this embarrassing condition since having spinal surgery nearly 3 years ago. Some nerve damage occurred during the operation which affected the bladder. Initially, it was horrendous. I could lose complete control of my bladder anytime and anywhere. I now take solifenacin and self catherterise up to 3 times per day. I also have the fantastic support of my incontinence nurse who visits me about every 4-6 weeks, depending on how I am. Self catherterisation may seem daunting at first, but it really is no big deal once you get used to it and at least you have the confidence to go out.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I also have spinal damage resulting in Cauda Equina Syndrome, It's been 3 years now since my surgery.I have no control over my bowels or bladder, I Self Catheterize up to 5 times a day but this does not stop the leakage, as I don't get the urge to go to the toilet I don't know I have leaked until it's to late.

I am currently waiting to have further tests done, I take medication (Distigmine bromide) but this has not completely elevated the problem. Not very good but I cope somehow.

• Posted

Hi,

Im from Singapore and age 66 years old. I too had spinal cord injury and nerve damage, causing sufferring from respiratory, numbness with tinggering sensation on both legs and a weaken bladder. I have been sufferring since 2009 after a backward fall from my bicycle.

Currently still seeing those doctors and on medication. Although my bladder did improving which given me confidence to move around without much worries, yes at times I had the urge but somehow just leaked a little. However, at night I have to get up 4 to 5 times to peel and disrupting my sleep. Every night I take my med. Vesicare and have been deligently doing pelvis floor exercise everyday and stop drinking after 8pm but have not improved,. It seems to become a norm as it timed hourly.

Please advise if you have a solution.

David Chng

• Posted

Hi

Sorry to hear of the problems. I have not had surgery, but like you I do have overactive bladder and loss of bladder control, night-time and during the day, I currently take solifenacin 5mg and see a continence advisor every 6 weeks, and am starting to get a bit better now.

Good luck with everything

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.