oxygen levels

Posted , 5 users are following.

I bought an oximeter yesterday and rather wished I hadn't because it indicates that my blood oxygen levels are consistently only 94% – is that normal for bronchiectasis? Should I be worrying? (I am anyway).

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sue!

I have one too and it's always around 94-95 sometimes dips to 91-93 but then when I go into the doctor's office they always say I'm at 96-97

so I'm not sure how accurate the home ones are or whether or not to be concerned.

I'm not sure what the average O2 level is for us? That would be helpful to know if anyone knows anything?

sorry, not very helpful, just commiserating with the same issue 😃

Ellen

• Edited

I am pleased when my oximeter reads anything above 92%. If I concentrate on breathing slowly from the diaphragm up I can get the reading up to 94 or 95%. I'm sure you will be fine on any reading of 93% plus. Draw in some slow deep breaths before taking a reading?

• Edited

I think its pretty good to be at 94%, although I do have both bronchiectasis and COPD so Im doing good if mine is in that range. Currently I am not as good as I would like between 91 and 93% sometimes reaching 94% . Time spent doing abdominal breathing can help raise the levels temporarily. Some improve with exercise others do not. I don't think you have need to worry.

• Posted

My pulmonologist would say not to worry at 94%. When I had pneumonia last fall, i was told that if my pulse ox went below 92, I needed to go straight to the hospital. Note, please, that this was a specific situation: pneumonia complicating bronchiectasis, and with pneumonia persisting after initial round of antibiotics. (2nd round, different med, took care of it).

I never even owned a pulse ox until the pneumonia, tho i'm probably in the minority of bronchiectasis patients on that. Diagnosed many years earlier and survived quite well & through many flares and 3 flavors of mild COVID-19, all without a pulse ox at home. The only reason I got one when i did was so that i'd only go to the hospital if numbers were below 92%.

• Posted

Hi Sue

I've just had my COPD checked, my oximeter was 3 figures out. Surgery oximeter measured me at 97% which is fantastic, against my own oximeter which said 94% that also good.

At least I know when my resting is only at 91% it could in fact be 94%.

If your hands are cold, or if you wear nail polish this also will give an inaccurate reading.

Worth checking your oximeter with your COPD nurse when you next go as a comparison.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.