Pain and compression fractures

Posted , 2 users are following.

My mom was diagnosed with compression fractures more than one in the spine.

It’s been about two weeks and doesn’t seem to be getting any better. In the mornings and late evenings her pain is intense. She feels pain in her lower back and one of her legs, the upper leg, she says she feels the pain right in the bone of her upper leg.

I don’t believe she’s done any x-ray specifically for the hip. But she has done x-rays and a CT scan of the lower back.

Her doctor doesn’t recommend any of the heavy duty pain killers or a back brace in her case. Heavy duty pain killers are quite constipating for her, so not recommended for her.

What was recommended was two Tylenol every four hours.

Can someone tell me is it normal to have leg pain when the compression fractures are in the lower back?

Can someone give me advice on how she can reduce the pain without the heavy duty pain killers?

Does the CT scan of the lower back Cover the hip as well? Should she do an x-ray of the hip?

This has really affected her life, she’s been homebound for about two weeks now and she can’t go back to work. She currently has a note for one month off work.

The compression fractures is caused by osteoporosis. She has not had any trauma such as a fall etc.

She felt the pain got worse after having to lay down so flat to do the CT scan. And x-rays.

Someone please help me, She is really desperate to lessen the pain and get better and get back to her normal life.

Thank you

1 like, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Edited

Go see another doctor a orthopedist. Sometimes back pain can be hard to cope with. Orthopedic surgeons are doctors who specialize in the musculoskeletal system - the bones, joints, ligaments, tendons, and muscles that are so essential to movement and everyday life. I use heat wraps and rest is a big help for my back condition . As long as the disc is not pressing on a nerve heat and rest is a hood solution. No lifting heavy objects pushing pulling. It's basically adjusting to life with limitations as we age and keep fit wall daily and it will get better as long as she keeps a strong core muscles that holds up the upper body . Just daily walking is all that is needed to improve core strength .

As we age our joints and backs tend to show years of wear and tear and cause a great deal of pain . Pain clinics can also help as they specialize in chronic pain conditions, treatments and medications. How long her compression fractures heal is important . osteoporosis is very painful. i hope she was instructed on treatment and meds and treatments for osteoporosis.,

i would just wear a elastic back support with velcro until she is better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.