Pain and tightness above knee after hip replacement

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had both hips replaced this year, The right leg was operated over 9 months ago. I had the left done 3 months ago. I have tenderness on the right side of right leg above the knee and a lot of tightness in the morning in the quad just above the knee. It appears to be a tight IT band and may have develop before surgery, due to walking abnormally because of hip soreness. I have been going to PT and recently the therapist is concentrating on loosening soft tissue around IT band area and strengthening glutes and inside of leg, to hopefully counter act the tightness. It hurts the most when getting up from sitting position , when it puts pressure on the outside of the leg. A brace sleeve helps if I am going to be on my feet or walking. It hinders walking any distance though. Any thoughts?

TIA

Russ

1 like, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Edited

i can identify with your symptoms. doctors never talk about the recovery pain and complications with tendons and soft tissue , its a real issue things hurt and real pain , complications take a long time to heal after THR.

i have had three THR . the best advice is just walk daily .. no exercises. never over do dont lift over 5 pounds no twisting and keep sittin in higher chairs also good new shoes with arches to improve your walkin gate . walk. walk . walk. it takes up to 2 years for complete recovery ... take it slow and in time you will have a better quality of life and mobility.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.