Pain in both legs calf muscles for 24 x 7 for 5 weeks

Posted , 3 users are following.

For the last five weeks or more I have had this terrible pain in the calf muscles in both legs.  It seems to be isolated to calf muscles.  It's the kind of pain you get when you haven't used your legs in awhile, then you do some kind of activity to cause spasms but constant never ending.  The pain does not vary if I am walking, sitting, or laying in bed.

I am a diabetic 2 patient for 15 years.  I am 67 years old.  My A1C runs about 7.0.  I have been to both my diabetic doctor and GP.  The first test was a blood test where everything was negative accept my LYM% was low.  My second test was an MRI of my lower back which test results turned out to be negative.  Then, an EMG was done yesterday.  I don't have the final results but the doctor performing the test said I definitely had neuropathy damage probably caused by heredity and diabetes.  

Over the years, I think I have had a pain here and there which I thought was more than likely neuropathy.  BUT this is nothing like that!  It's in my muscles.  My skin is very sensitive to touch around my calf muscles.  This pain which I have had for 5 or more weeks came within a period of 24 to 48 hours.  

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this as I have tried to describe.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

What medications do you take as many can cause muscle pain.
    • Posted

That's a good question.  I forgot to say that my doctor first pulled me off Lipitor (which I have been taking for 20 plus years).  It didn't change anything.  He saw nothing else in respect to the medications that I am taking.
    • Posted

I had expected you to say a Statin as they are a common cause of muscle pain and weakness. How long since you stopped taking it? I was on a Statin for months rather than years and it took about a month for the effects to wear off.

Orthopedic consultant told me that nearly all medications can cause muscle problems. A course of Flucloxacillin gave me calf pain and tendonitis.

• Posted

Lipitor is one of the statin drugs.  I didn't stay off of it more than three weeks, and concluded that it wasn't the source of the problem.  I should maybe try it again.  I didn't realize that nearly all medications can cause muscle problems.  One of the drugs my doctor prescribed was Gabapentin (which is a generic for neurontin).  It was 300mg twice a day.  I hated it.  It made me loopy (which is probably not a far trip for me...LOL).  I took it for about a week, and I felt like it was doing nothing for me except interferring with my daily life.  
    • Posted

I refuse to take drugs like Gabapentin. I may have neuropathy but I don't have pain or tingling in my leg. 
  • Posted

hi, I had an operation 2 years ago ony right foot- had some bone cut off, tendons put in a shaeth n re-attached to ankle bone n a bolt thru back of heel. had on n off pain since but 4 months ago had incredible pai. in right butt cheek, 24/7 spasms in calf muscle, pins n needles both of which vary in intensity thru the day n night as well as shstp pain in ankle joint. my calf often feels much tighter n rigid than my left n often warmer. I can empathise with u. m currently on 600mg lyrica n 6 panadeine gorte daily but with minimal relief. have just been put on endone n referred to the pain clinic. I hope yr dr sorts this out n u get some good relief.
    • Posted

Thank you ali20330.  I am soooo sorry to learn what you have had to undergo.  I know it had to be very difficult and I am sure painful.  Both of my legs are swollen.  I have heard television commericals about lyrica.  I don't know much about what panadeine is.  I hope you start feeling relief.  I am looking forward to getting the final EMG report.  Based on what I learn from talking to my doctor about the results, I hope to get a better solution that the Gabapentin he initially tried to give me. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.