Pain in neck, collar bone and shoulders when drinking alcohol??

Posted , 36 users are following.

For ages now I seem to get a horrible type of pain in my neck, collar bone and shoulders when drinking alcohol! It's not every time and sometimes if i'm drinking for example wine, one session I can be fine on it, the next time I drink wine it can cause the pain. It can vary between what I drink and how much. It's a horrible achy, gnawing pain and it's so uncomfortable and it won't go unless I either stop drinking for 20 mins or if I make myself sick it'll go instantly. 

It's so annoying does anyone know what this could be? 

0 likes, 47 replies

47 Replies

Next
  • Posted

No, but I've got a solution - stop drinking. If you stopped drinking for, for example, a week and you had no pain you'd know what to do ..... t-total. If the pain persists time for a trip to your G.P. to get it sorted out.

• Posted

This is terrible advice. Some people have only found out that they had cancer because they drank alcohol and had pain. Drinking alcohol quite literally saved their life.

• Posted

I have the exact same thing happen to me.  It has been ages for me as well.  I just went to the Doctor.  She had never heard of such a thing.  I also have had swollen lymph nodes.  It is scary, because when you google (pain from alcohol) it mentions lymphoma.  Things have settled for me I am supposed to have an ultrasound, but I have not yet.  Any recent news about you?
    • Posted

I have been having the same issue with pain in my collar bone after drinking occasionally!  And I’m freaking out as well because lymphoma is the 1st thing that pops up! Did the lumps mean anything? 
    • Posted

I have struggled with this same problem.  It has been off and on for a number of years.  In April of 2018 I went to the doctor.  She was insensitive and said "simple solution, stop drinking1". I am also an occasional drinker and it made me feel pretty bad.  Anyway I also had a lump in my groin.  She did send me in for an ultrasound.  I was convinced I had lymphoma.  I had pain in my collar bone, groin and in my right leg and hip.  I DID NOT have lymphoma though.  I did have a hernia in my groin.  That was causing the leg pain.  I still do not know why I have pain when drinking alcohol.  I just wanted to reach out to you, because I was also freaking out.  Maybe this will provide you with some comfort.  

• Posted

Thank God you don’t have lymphoma! I too like to enjoy a glass of wine Occasionally! But it has scared me into not drinking! How where you tested for the lymphoma if you don’t mind me asking?
    • Posted

After a bit of research in my haematooncology book here is what i found.First of all pain after alcohol consumption is very rare symptom for lymphoma.Also almost all lymphoma cases with pain after alcohol are burkitt lymphoma,which is a very fast growing tumor(it shows symptoms very quickly).Do not worry about lymphoma.Could be a liver issue though.
  • Edited

Any updates? I don't drink often, but sometimes when I do, pain radiates through my collarbone and shoulders. My face also gets flushed. Just like everyone else, all I see on Google is lymphoma... So I'm curious if you had any new information??

• Posted

I have this issue as well. I think for me it's related to an autoimmune disease. Amongst a ton of other symptoms, I suddenly became extremely intolerant to alcohol. After a couple sips intense deep burning pain in left shoulder. I had a positive lupus test, being treated for lupus but rheumatologist isn't convinced it's lupus.

• Posted

this also happen to me, first I thought It just normal because everytime I have boils and I drink alcohol my boil will get warm/ache sometimes it help to drain the fluid and there's no lymp nodes in the buttocks so im pretty sure it was boils. but after I have a lump on the back of my neck it hurt also same time with my boils of course I thought boils again this happen for years. Then this year I was curious why its happening and at first I search the connection between blood and alcohol why the blood get warm so as my boils is as the search continues I tried to google ALCOHOL PAIN and first thing show up was CANCER now im so anxious afraid to be diagnosis searching always on the net trying to look for people with the same condition as mine just to relieve myself... so how are you guys? do you have lymphoma?

• Posted

hi germs

I have sent you a private message regarding this , hope you can reply:)

• Posted

i don't drink a lot but whenever i decide to have a drink within 5 seconds of just having one mouthful i start feel this achy pain in my shoulders and it will not go away unless i stop drinking and wait for it to pass before being able to carry on again

• Posted

Hi James how are you? do you have swollen lymph nodes in the collarbone?

• Edited

whenever i drink the first sip it instantly makes my shoulders feel like they are on fire.. aching and burning.. i was recently diagnosed with fibro and sjogrens.. my shoulders hurt just about everyday and i cant drink alcohol bc it makes it ten times worse.. this is just my experience.

• Posted

Hi Emilyo, did you first think you had lymphoma? btw are you asian?

• Posted

My white blood cell count is normal so no i do not. Im also not asian. My muscles react negatively to alcohol dues to the fibromylagia and sjogrens im guessing.. it literally takes just a sip and my shoulders are burning and achy.. if i stop drinking and lay down for a moment it will subside. i just dont drink bc its a trigger for my flare ups.

• Posted

Hi - I also have this pain in my shoulders and it starts right after I take a sip of alcohol. I've never been tested for firbro though and I am wondering if that could be part of my problem. How did you go about gaining that diagnosis?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.