Pain in Shoulder for 6 Months

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi there,

Late May of this year I hurt my right shoulder. So basically, I was asleep in bed, lying on my front with my arms above my head. I felt a tickle on my arm that woke me up (I'm a very light sleeper since having my son) and I looked up to see a decent sized spider on my arm. I flipping hate spiders so I immediately freak out, I waved my arms forward and back a few times and them when I brought my right arm back to my chest the last time I felt a very sharp pain in my shoulder. I couldn't move it at all, my cry of pain was enough to wake my husband and I felt as though I was going to throw up. I managed to get up with my arm still against my chest and go in the bathroom in case I was sick and to turn a light on to see if there was anything obviously wrong with my shoulder. There wasn't anything I could see and I wasn't sick, but I still couldn't move it at all. I went back and sat in bed for a bit and slowly started to move my arm with the support of my other arm but it hurt a lot. I would say maybe a 6 or 7/10 for pain. About half an hour later I was lying down trying to get back to sleep when I lifted my arm and it felt like something popped, it immediately felt a bit better (maybe 3-4/10) and I got back to sleep. The next day it was still hurting all the time but was excruciating to put it above my head or especially behind my back. (I literally couldn't put on or take of my own bra)

I made a doctors appointment for a few days later and she said that I'd 'wrenched' my shoulder and that it would stop hurting in 2-3 weeks. I don't know what that means but it felt to me that she didn't know exactly what I'd done so just said that to make me feel like I had a diagnosis. Anyway it did start to feel better and I can move my shoulder all around now but occasionally I'll be at a certain angle and it'll really hurt, especially if I relax the arm while leaning on something, for example if I'm lying in bed with my arm on my husbands back, if I relax all my muscles it will really hurt and feel like it's pulling. It's now been over 6 months and it's still like that. It's quite difficult because sometimes I'll lift my son up and it'll hurt and I have to put him down quickly and make sure I don't hurt him or I'll pick up a hot baking tray and almost drop it or burn myself because of it. Anyone know what this could be or any tips to try and help it? Thanks.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

It sounds like you have wrenched your shoulder.
  • Posted

If you go back to the doctor she may send you for a scan. Second visits for the same problem ring alarms for doctors. There may be a partial thickness tendon tear. A good sonographer will pick it up. It may or may not heal itself. If it is  only a small partial tear then you should get better under the direction of a physiotherapist but a scan will help diagnose whatever the problem is.
    • Posted

Thanks, I think I will make an appointment sometime in the new year.
  • Posted

Ask to see a shoulder consutant as it sounds like you've torn something; possibly your rotator cuf or your labrum. Might require surgery to correct.

• Posted

Oh wow I didn't expect it to require surgery, I'll have a look into it, thank you.

• Posted

Are you able to sleep? It does sound as though you may have done something to the rotator cuff. Definately see the correct doctor for this issue. I've had rotator cuff surgery so the pain you are describing sounds familiar. But, it's possible a therapist may be able to help see you through this is well. Best wishes. (Did you at least get the spider?) wink

• Posted

I can sleep fine as long as I don't have my shoulder at a certain angle, it very much depends on how relaxed my muscle is and what angle it's at. I'll make an appointment in the new year to see what they can do. I didn't get it straight away but I saw it crawling up the wall opposite the bed 5 minutes later and woke my husband up and told him to kill it. It wasn't little either it was awful 😖

• Posted

Yuck. Do not like spiders, I probably would have reacted the same way as you. Take care. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.