Pain management by GP'S and surgeons today.

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm a 68 yr old male diagnosed with fibromyalgia, and have had my share of ops recently.( 2 knee replacements, perineal radical prostatectomy, spinal fusion L4/L5, plus others) Before fibromyalgia came along, my pain threshold was fairly good, but now pain is a constant issue for me. I seem to remember some years back, the medical catchcry was " no patient ever need be in pain", with the pain medications available. Now, the catchcry is " pain medication is bad for you and you don't really need it." Fear of addiction to pain killers has changed the attitude of medical professionals, and to a certain extent, fair enough. But unfortunately this is a blanket reaction and many people are suffering needlessly. For example, my neighbour is 90 yrs old and is in constant agony with osteo arthritis in hip. Too old for surgery, but GP's see no reason to prescribe sufficient pain killers to relieve his agony, after all, he may become addicted to them ! He is now wishing for a pill to end it all !

After recent surgeries, I have been in severe pain, but surgeons believe 2 panadol is adequate pain relief. These surgeons have obviously never endured the pain post surgery. This was born out recently for me when my GP had a knee replacement and complained that the week following surgery was the worst week of his life and he would not wish this on his worst enemy. When I told one surgeon pre op that I suffered from fibromyalgia, he laughed and said he didn't believe in it.

Is it just me, or are other people having similar issues with the attitudes of medical professionals today ?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hello John, it has been a few years since I've posted or read anything on

"Patient". sadly the only reason to return is age and health problems. I like the 90 year old man you mentioned have a hip that should have had my right hip replaced 10 years ago. I put it off and heart and kidney problems came in making a general anesthesia too dangerous. Now I suffer with bone on bone pain that my GP is still trying to solve as it worsens. I'm on Tramadol, Norco plus the Tylenol array. Next they are thinking about a patch with some very strong stuff. What do you hear about that might be interesting.?

My previous contact with this site was due to a 4 to 5 year fight with PMR. Some of my pains are very similar.

Paul Linder

• Edited

No it's not just you. It's sad to see the radical change in the GPs general attitude in prescribing painkillers in this day and time. It's frightening to say the least.

When I told my physician that the medication she prescribed was not taking care of the pain, she told me she couldn't prescribed anything else that would take the pain completely away and that she can only help me get through it. I was appalled! Get through it? You're kidding right? But she wasn't.

This nerve pain is the worst pain I have ever felt in my 58 years on this earth. She has been my GP for 9 years. Based on my chart, she should not have any reservations regarding prescribing something stronger that just may relieve me of this awful pain issue.

Unfortunately, that's not going to happen.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.