pain meds

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi,im in so much pain everyday,been taking co codamol and ibrofen ,tryed gabapentin and pregablin but they didnt agree with me,went to pain clinic thinking they could give me stronger meds as the co codamol no longer touch me,but i was told their are no other pain killers they can give me,and that i should carry on taking the co codamol,and get on with life,im am not happy,and think i should ask for a second opionin,any suggestions would be helpfull,and if any1 is taking stonger meds please can i have the names...many thanks

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sweetie,

My spine surgeon recommended a subdural narcotic pump, so maybe that's an option for you? However, I opted instead to try Bikram Yoga, which is gentle yoga practiced in a hot, humid room. When I began I was having trouble walking due to pain and could barely stand on two legs, let alone one! But I noticed that even lying in the heat felt good on by back, so I kept going back, just doing as much as I could and sitting or lying down when I needed to. After my first 5 classes, my pain was GONE. 5.5 years later I am completely able-bodied and pain-free. I still have a noticeably uneven body and I walk a little funny, but as long as I am not in pain I'm a happy camper. I highly recommend it!

• Posted

Hello Margaret

I have seen a previous reply that you sent praising this type of yoga and I would like to try it but I am not sure if it is the right thing for me.  I have severe lumbar scoliosis with the usual accompanying twist but it is classified as adult degenerative scoliosis because I also have severely narrowed discs, complex osteophytes, stenosis ...  My main pain is in the right buttock/hip/thigh and probably due to nerves being compressed.  This is present as soon as I put weight on the leg in the morning and by late afternoon or evening is severe enough to disable me.  You spoke of having pain and difficulty walking before you began this yoga but do you also have the other complications that I have?  I do not want to do something that will make me worse.

Thank you in advance for your reply.

Maureen

• Posted

Hi,

I have an upper curve that was corrected surgically over 40 years ago. My tailbone developed a compensatory curve and THAT was causing me extreme pain. However, as far as I know I only have the curvature, the spine surgeon only took an x-ray and then recommended more surgery (or a narcotic pump).

You might want to talk to your doctor, and also the yoga instructor at your studio. Just make sure it is specifically Bikram (hot) yoga. I took a different type first that did more harm than good. In my case, I think the heat just allowed my super tight muscles and ligaments to loosen, and then the stretching keeps them loose. I could barely do anything in the class when I began, but I think even just being in the heat and humidity helped with my muscle spasms. Once you start stretching everything out, it starts feeling even better (-:

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.