Pain on LEFT side following appendectomy

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, Wonder if anyone has any advice. I had my appendix out just over 3 months ago. Woke up in recovery with the pain gone on right as they'd removed appendix but instead in my left side where my scar is. I'm still in agony over three months later. Work is a real struggle as I'm a teacher by the end of the day can barely walk. I am only twenty eight years old. I've had an ultra sound and they ruled out a hernia and hematoma also called a blood clot. It has been far worse than the appendix pain! It's really affecting my work but I've still being going to work full time but sometimes it bends me over double with pain. Any advice would be very much appreciated. 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sophie22873, I really feel for you. Are you in the U.K.? I think they need to do a CT scan of your whole abdomen; an ultrasound doesn't show up as much as a CT does. Don't give up, as you said yourself, you are kind of worse off than you you before!

If possible, try to take someone with you to the GP, and to any outpatient appointments, but I know that's not always possible. Maybe start to keep a little notebook of what triggers the pain, or notes in the 'notes' section of your mobile. Make sure your headteacher and head of department know what you're going through, so that if you needed to perhaps be an inpatient for a day, they'll have the heads up.

Good luck with everything; I'm rooting for you wink

• Posted

Thanks FiFi1963! That's really kind of you. Thanks so much. Yes I'm in the UK. I've got an outpatient hospital appointment. In two weeks time so will suggest a CT scan. My headteacher is aware but people just don't realise the daily struggle do they. I always take my husband and is pretty good. He does ask questions! It's just frustrating. I'm sure I'll get there eventually.

Thanks so much!

• Posted

That's okay, Sophie22873! It was my pleasure. So glad you've got your appointment. Promise me you won't let them fob you off? I'm glad your husband will go with you. Have you checked your temperature, just in case you have a post-op infection [internally] like I did? And are your bowels regular? Sorry for all these questions. Let me know how you get on. But in the meantime, you could maybe call your GP and ask them to leave out a blood test form for you to have your ESR, now usually called CRP, levels done; just to check there's no underlying infection...Take good care; thinking of you wink

• Posted

Hi FiFi1963, I will definitely not let them fob me off as I think they did last time! Yes I've been checking but no however even when I had appendectomy I didnt have a temperature or blood didn't show anything even though when they operated I did have appenditicus. No my bowels aren't regular but was too scared to tell them in case they blamed it on that! But it's my then that as I've had IBS since a child and know how it feels and the pain I've got at the moment is where my scar is. Oh no well I hope you're ok now! Yes I'll let you know thanks so much! 🙂

• Posted

Hi, I think you should have a blood test atleast and look if your blood white cells are normal. It's a strong possiblity that you might have post operative infection and if they blame you then you must fight with them or change doctor. Whatever it takes, because as much more time you will take more it will be dangerous for you. You need to watch out for the signs of sepsis and petronisis.And go for ct scan as FiFi suggested since sonogram wouldnt show proper results in case its blocked with fluids.

• Posted

Hi Dhavalc017, a month after my op I had a blood test to check and my levels were within the 'normal range'. My ESR test was 7 and it has to be within 0-9. I will definitely ask for a CT though. Thank you I will stay strong thanks for the advice!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.