Pain under left ribs

Posted , 57 users are following.

Hi,

I've been having recurring pain under my lower left ribs for 5 months now. Dr has tested bloods, all normal. Had full cardiologist check, ecg etc all normal. The pain initially felt like a really uncomfortable ball under my ribs and I struggled with sitting for a couple of days. Standing, walking etc all ok. Lying down helped but not on my back as it felt like something was pulling at my ribs.

Was put on lanzoprapole and felt not too bad. But after a small holiday, lots of food, moderate alcohol it niggled away but not so bad as first time and recently it's flared up horribly.  I had one day I had to stay in bed as the pain went all round lower left side and stabbing pain in the back. If I sneezed it was very very painful.

I've got a gastroenterologist appt in over a week so should find out more but wondered if anyone else has had similar symptoms?

I've no idea if this is related to pancreas but I have had multiple doses of antibiotics that I've discovered can cause this in pancreas. My pain is most definitely left side and right at the bottom of the ribcage. 

0 likes, 62 replies

62 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Hi, did you ever find out what was causing this pain?
    • Posted

Hi,

I didn’t get a diagnosis but I did get a lot of tests. I had ultrasound, ct scan with contrast dye and endoscopy. They all came back normal so lots of good came out of it in that anything serious ruled out. I ended up on lanzoprapole for 2-3 months, lost 20lbs in weight, turned my diet around with lots of good food and only drink the odd 1-2 glasses of wine every 2-3wks now. Not had that pain since but gastroenterologist said to come back if I did as even he was curious to find out what was going on.  

Have you experienced similar?

• Edited

I just now ran across this post looking for something unrelated but I wanted to tell you that I've had this on and off for years. I was finally diagnosed with splenic flexure syndrome which is basically trapped gas that can't move out of the bend of the large colon. I control it with following a diet that is good for people with irritable bowel syndrome and I was prescribed Bentyl which helps me tremendously when the pain starts up. It relaxes the colon so that the trapped air gets out of that bend and moves down and therefore relieving the pain.... the pain feels like there's a fist or a ball sitting up under your rib cage like you want to move it out from under your rib cage and the Bentyl relieves it so well.

• Edited

I know this post has been awhile but I have very similar symptoms. A knawing pain below my left rib cage. It will last for weeks and then will simmer down. I've had bloodwork, ultrasound and catscan with contrast in past 9 months and nothing can explain it. How long does your pain last? does it feel like pressure ? does it get worse after you eat? and how did you they diagnose you with splenic flexure syndrome? Thanks in advance just need a little support. Feeling like this gets me so down.

• Posted

hi

I know this was a while ago but I believe I have the same as you I'm hoping .

I get this pain left said which feels like a kick or somethings trapped it can be really painful and can knock the air out of me but I've realised when I burp I feel better

• Posted

Hi,

I know it's been a while - but did you get any answers? I have the same thing. Pain under left ribs when sitting - standing relieves it but it sometimes moves into my side a bit then - but not as bad. It has been going on around 2 weeks. I have had every blood test and all are clear. I have also had some chronic fatigue in the week that preceded this and some IBS (But that's not unusual for me). Doctor's aren't doing much - I speak to a different one each time - on the phone only due to covid 19. I am scheduled for an ultra sound - but that will be at least 4 weeks. I actually went to A&E - they examined my stomach which felt 'soft' and 'fine'. They gave me strong pain killers - which I am not keen to take, I really want to know what's wrong! However they did suggest an MRI of my spine incase it's referred pain from a prolapsed thoratic disc or something.

I am keen to know if you got a diagnosis. I hope you are feeling better now.

Many thanks

Julie

• Edited

Hi Autum111, just wondering if you have healed. I have the same pressure under my ribs (not pain), have lost about 30 lbs in 4 months, and have digestive issues (stomach gurgling, undigested food, facial acne, loss of appetite). Had ct scan, xrays, ultrasound, blood and urine tests, but everything is ok. I started feeling ill after I was put on a statin, which I stopped after about a month, but issues continue and getting worse. I was diagnosed with IBS 14 yesrs ago, and was under complete control. I am female, 69 yesrs old. Thank you for any advice, staaay well.

• Posted

hi julie did you get your ultrasound resuslts ?

how are you feeling now ?

• Posted

You have no idea how relieved reading your post makes me feel. I mean, it MAY not be whats wrong with me but it sounds JUST like me. Ive had so many test ran and they keep trying to bring up my kidneys. Im like its NOT my kidneys. But it sounds just like this. Literally fee like theres a small fist pushing on my lower left rib cage. It comes for a week or more, leaves then comes back. Hurts toward my left flank.

• Edited

Thanks for the reply. Glad it was noting serious. Yes I have. Mine might be slightly different though. I have intermittent pain on my left side below ribs which sometimes radiates to the back. I also have pain/uncomfortableness when I press my abdomen or lie on my stomach. I am terrified it might be pancreatic cancer.
    • Edited

I’ve had all those thoughts. I was honestly shocked they found nothing. Have you been to your dr? Get blood tests to cover everything as a start. Tell your gp of your pain and insist on an ultrasound and ct scan. Don’t stay in pain and let the worry eat away. Im wishing you the luck I had. Let me know how you get on.
  • Edited

I get this from acid reflux. It can get quite uncomfortable, and you swear it's some dreaded disease (like Pancreatic cancer). I even get pain and spams in my back and chest, down my arm. Try taking some Pepto Bismol. It temporarily coats your insides, protecting it from the acid attacks.  If you feel relief within 1/2 hour or hour, then you know it's probably acid reflux causing your problem. (Pepto will make your poop black for a couple of days, so don't freak out over that). You will then have to take some some over-the-counter acid blocker for a couple of weeks or more. And cut down on high acid foods until you heal. I prefer Pepcid AC if I'm  not real bad. If that doesn't work, Nexium. Both seem to have the fewest side-effects, for me, anyway.

• Edited

You get pain below your left breast, without typical "heart burn" symptoms that would be under and above the breast?

Does it hurt more if you lie on your side or in any particular position?

• Edited

I have had this problem also for 6 years. I have had every test available. I take Omeprazole or Prilosec. It does seem to comes and go. It really bothers me when I have an empty stomach. I do a low carb diet in the winter  months with lots of soy products and it does seem worse then.  I would love to figure it out. 

• Posted

Are you still having issues Tom? I still get pain intermittently but think it’s stomach/acid related. I have to watch what I eat/drink. How did you get on?
    • Edited

I’m surprised how so many people report similar symptoms yet nobody seems to link them. Sure it can only be stomach/acid related but it appears to be more common than we think?!
    • Posted

So interesting.  I have this too.  It's like a burning pain on my lower left rib cage.  Sometimes the soreness wraps around to under my arm.  In the past year, I've had a CT Scan, ultrasound, and colonoscopy.  I have diverticulosis, and acid reflux.  Alcohol makes it worse, so I gave up wine.  It comes and goes....definitely stomach related, I think.  But no actual diagnosis. When my back hurts too, I always worry about pancreatic cancer.

• Posted

Hi Fiona, yeah still having the same issues. I have had some MRI scans done on my pancreas and small bowel I will let you know when I hear something.
    • Posted

Hi Tom. Just checking to see how you're getting on? I read elsewhere that you had an embolisation done? I had one done to and have similar pain. Do you think there could be a connection?

• Posted

Hi Roger, no I do not believe the two are related. My embolization was done many years ago and I had no complications. I also know loads of people who have had embolizations and had no issues. My problems only started very recently and are more to do with my digestive system including pain in upper left quadrant and back. I have had an mri scan which came back clear however a recent calprotectin test showed signs of inflammation as it was elevated. This is an indication of lots of horrible conditions including IBD and bowel cancer. So I'm probably going to need a camera next. So still unsure of the cause and feeling anxious. Hope you find the cause of your discomfort. I would consider asking for a CT or MRI scan because you could be having issues with your pancreas. 

• Posted

Hi tom

I know this was few months ago but I’m having the same issues and was wondering what your outcome was?

I’ve just been diagnosed with hypothyroidism and have been feeling awful for months but I have this tugging/pulling sensation not so much pain tho on my left hand side below my bottom rib I’ve also got a lot of what feels like trapped wind on both sides ultrasound was clear and I’m now booked in for a colonoscopy because my calprotectin was high aswell.

James

• Posted

Hi James, sorry for the ridiculously slow reply but I have only just seen this. They never found anything and it just eased with time. I had every test you can think of. How are you getting on?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.