Pain under left ribs & back - concerned!

Posted , 6 users are following.

My symptoms started in Dec-Jan with a discomfort under my left rib. It felt similar to a baby kicking (no, I was not pregnant at the time). I mentioned it in passing to my GP who suggested food intolerances & was unwilling to discuss it further. I have a history of bowel issues & was told to wait until I saw my GI doc later in the year.

Fast forward to March, the discomfort was also accompanied by gurgling, pulsating, a feeling like there was a fist under my rib and some pain. The main area of concern was a spot in the soft part of my mid-section (slight left of centre) which would hurt, particularly after eating.

I sought an opinion from another GP who agreed to run some tests. I had blood tests (incl h.pylori), stool tests and an ultrasound, which from memory all came back ok. The GP advised me against getting a CT due to radiation risks.

By June the mid-section pain continued, always in the same spot. It seemed to be around my stomach/pancreas region, a gnawing, deep sharp pain & was also accompanied by nausea & pain in my back. I desperately sought more medical advice. More blood tests were done- this time included lipase, amylase, CA19-9, which thankfully all came back normal. The GP suggested gastritis and wanted me to take PPIs. I did not take these. I was advised to stop taking iron supplements (which I had commenced a few weeks earlier) and this reduced the nausea.

In August I underwent a endoscopy & colonoscopy. Endoscopy showed no evidence of gastritis.

A palpation exam around this time showed that the pain was under the muscle as I could not feel it when my abdominal muscles were crunched.

The pain has persisted for 9-10 months and has increased in severity in my back. It comes and goes- some days worse than others. It is often worse when I eat. I feel it at night in my back when I lay on my right side. The back pain feels similar like a muscle cramp or pulled muscle and the front pain is more a stabbing pain. The pain is in the same spot both in the front & back of my abdomen.

I am desperately worried about pancreatic issues. Namely in the tail of my pancreas based on the location of the discomfort. I have a family history of pancreatic cancer.

I know the next step to finding answers is a CT scan, but I am reluctant due to radiation and my fear of an allergic reaction to the IV contrast.

I am aware that with pancreatic issues it is so important to be diagnosed quickly. It has so far been such a long, frustrating and fear-inducing process & I feel I have not been taken seriously by medical professionals due to my age (mid 30s).

Currently feeling anxious, alone & uncertain, which is never nice. I'm seeking support, guidance & maybe some encouragement. I am interested to hear from others who might have gone through similar or anyone who may have an idea on what has been causing my pain.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hey hungryhermione, I'm sorry you're going through this and feel so stressed about it. I totally feel your concerns. I have been dealing with very similar symptoms for 3 months now. Only difference is I even feel it a bit under my right rib too but it's primarily left sided like you. I have had all worries just like you. I've had all the tests, abdominal/pelvic CT scan, full abdominal ultrasound, endoscopy, lots of blood work. Everything came back normal. I have a history of GERD and am usually constipated. I'm on a PPI - it keeps the heartburn away. I am getting a colonoscopy in early Nov. I'm 25 so also young. If it's any reassurance, I thoroughly explained all my weird symptoms to my Gastro Dr. and truly believes I just have a very sensitive gut and more or less said if nothing is found with the colonoscopy, she is going to treat me as if I have IBS. So far she has recommended a low FODMAP diet and IB Guard (peppermint oil capsules). Going to try all of these things this week. Sorry if you wrote this above already but do you has any gas/belching? That's another new symptom I've been recently dealing with.

• Posted

i am exactly the same. mine has been going on for about a year. We have the same symtoms exactly. i too have been so worried about my pancreas.

i have has CT scan, MRI and MRCP and am awaiting results of a second CT scan. ive seen 7 GI drs who cant seem to find the source of the pain.

i feel EXACTLY the same way you do. So scared and alone. you are not alone.

i just want to find the answers so i can heal and move on.

xxxx

• Posted

hi how are you all doing now. i have had same set of symptoms for 8 months, my pain is in my back mostly and gets really bad after i eat and when im laying down, also in the last 2 months i have developed really really greasy stools, poo still brown but with layer of oil on top of water whenever i have movement. i have also lost 2 stone. i also feel like i have a swollen tongue

ive had bloods but not had lipase and amalyse levels checked, i have not had my stools checked for elastase. i have had abdominal ct scan which apparently checked my pancreas and was clear. i am booked in for endoscope in november.

do any of you have greasy stools?

• Posted

Hi Andrea, ugh sorry that you too are going through this! I am still pretty much the same... I have gas pains all over my colon now but seems to focus more on my left side (from rib cage to my ovary area)... and I have constant discomfort in my left back (sometimes right) from like the kidney area to the hip bone... no idea what is going on. Can this really just be IBS? Thinking of all of you right now and hoping you find answers soon 😃

• Posted

hi Alexis

gosh its awful isn't it. my pain is mostly in my back on the left side and goes around to left side of my body with some occasional pain in the front. as i sit here on the sofa it feels like throb or pulsating feeling in my back. my tongue is also so strange but nobody else seems to have had this. im also so worried because of my weight loss.

ive been reading lots about pancreatitis and its seems really grim. im not sure whether to start the low fat diet and supplements asap to see if that eases the pain but if i i think i need the replacement enzymes as im sure im not digesting my food properly.

on the testing have you had an endoscope ultrasound (eus) or mrcp? apparently the eus is the best at identifying issues in the pancreas. i have only had CT and bloods so far and all fine. im booked in for endoscope in few weeks but not eus so i don't think i will trust the results anyway. from my reading so many people suffer for years of gi issues with no real diagnosis and yet all the signs of pancreas issues are there. i find it hard pushing my gp and consultant that its pancreas issue but i cant go elsewhere as it seems you need gp referral.

do you have greasy/oily stools at all? have you lost t weight.

• Posted

I also have the back pain on left side although i have to say it's not really pain it's like a pressure/squeezing and very very mild. It's more in the kidney area for me and the flank. I've had my kidneys tested and also the CT with contrast and all looked OK with my organs??? UGH! Never has EUS and doubt i ever will unless this gets worse and worse... i agree about getting a CP diagnosis... so hard to one, get those tests and 2 get a diagnosis of pancreatitis when it's not acute. I've only had these symptoms for a few months and so far my stools are either constipated or more soft with undigested food but not oily or greasy. I have lost minimal weight but not sure if it's just anxiety related or what. What a time!

• Posted

i definitely got some anxiety so some of weight could have been that too. my back pain started as niggle, i'd just had baby and was breast feeding so i put it l down to that but its definitely got worse over last few months. so just keep an eye on yours.

Im hoping to god its not a pancreas issue, im having my thyroid checked and endoscope is to test for coeliac.

i think its the frustration of knowing you just feel feel right but trying to get somebody to believe you and then get any tests or answers with a sense of urgency. i am obviously very impatient.

hope you get your answers soon

• Posted

Congrats on your baby although I'm sure it's been hard with your health issues throw into the mix... ugh, and thank you sooo much, I'll be thinking of you and hope you get good answers soon as well! 😃

• Posted

my baby was miracle ivf baby who we have been trying for for over 5 years. we were so excited and we do enjoy every moment with him but my symptoms and pain are really getting me down and im so annoyed that they literally coincided with his birth amd i cannot lie they are a complete unwanted distraction (of course they would be anytime)

i think im even more aware of my health now being a mummy as i want to be here, be well and see my little man grow up

• Posted

aw of course i can totally understand that (not a mum yet) I hope we all get answers for our symptoms soon... 😃 until then just have to try to stay present, think positively and take one day at a time. hoping that for you guys too.

• Posted

Yes agreed we have to just stay positive but self advocate with these medics to make sure we get an answer

• Posted

Hi guys! Any update with you all? I’ve been having the same symptoms and CT and ultrasound have came back unremarkable.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.