Pain went away, but recent mri shows osteomyelitis

Posted , 2 users are following.

had an ultrasound and I had severe pain in my toe since Jan. I had an xray that showed possible osteomyelitis, so I was sent for a CT which came out fine. My foot was swollen and the pain was sharp, so I was on 14 days of antibiotics which was completed in mid Feb. At the end of Feb the pain just disappeared. I have an ulcer on the toe so I go for regular wound care. Last week I had my mri done, and the conclusion is osteomyelitis and septic arthritis.

I'm puzzled that I still have an infection when the pain suddenly disappeared. Is that normal? The nri was almost canceled because I was feeling fine, but the dr just wanted to be sure so we proceeded. I read my results on the patient portal and don't have my next follow up till early April, so google has been my source of information.

I'm otherwise healthy, no diabetes or history of injury, so it's still a puzzle how it got infected in the first place.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi mo29882.

thanks for posting here.

How has everything been going (with "Pain went away, but recent mri shows osteomyelitis")?

My child is in , maybe a similar situation, that the pain has gone away but MRI still shows inflammation/infection. It has been around 1 year since treatment, and my child has been symptom free ever since treatment (6 weeks' antibiotics), but recent (11-12 months after treatment) MRI still shows inflammation/infection (doctor is not sure whether it is infection or not, although antibotics worked well and pain completely stopped).

Very worried when seeing the still-there MRI results (it is better, but not gone).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.