Pain with catheter

Posted , 4 users are following.

So I've had my catheter for 7 weeks so far for urinary retention after nasal surgery. I am 20 year old female with no past bladder problems.

Recently I have been getting a sore belly low down and when I adjust my leg bag I get this really uncomfortable burning pain around where the catheter is inserted. Also get the burning throughout the day? It's sore when I touch the catheter but not when I touch the area around? Has anyone else experienced this? I'm probably just over reacting to things but it has been getting worse over the week!

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like you may have an infection. Make an appointment to see your doctor and get some answers. Take care X
  • Posted

Hi kimmymac, sounds like u possibly have a uti or trush inf or a catheter blockage. U should see your gp/ nurse. If all are ruled out it could be that you are drying out slightly n may need some sort of lubricant.
  • Posted

I am a male but I did experience something very similar after I had an operation for the removal of kidney stones.

Basically they had inserted the catheter incorrectly which caused an infection, and the ensuing pain was unbearable.

When I mentioned it to the nursing staff they said that it was because I was not used to it,

In the end the catheter was simply blown with urine after holding onto my urine for so long that the pain became too unbearable.

I really think you should seek help with this problem, and dont accept any excuses from the medical people.

• Posted

Thank you for responses! I'm going to get in touch with the district nurse today and ask them. I just feel a pain having to pester them but I guess needs must!

It's 10x sorer when I wake up and I do have some stuff in the lining of the tube but I have been urinating a lot more the past couple of days.

• Posted

Don't feel like a pain, if you don't ask them, they won't know. That's what they their for. I hope you get sorted xx
    • Posted

I did bite the bullet and phone and turns out I have a uti so waiting for a prescription from the doctors, thank you xx
  • Posted

Sorry to be a pain, but now my bag isn't draining well and I'm feeling uncomfortable but not like I need to pee? It looks like there is stuff in the tube? I've still not got my antibiotics yet... Should I try get a doctors appt tomorrow?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.