Panic attack with prep for colonoscopy

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone, I am having a colonoscopy on Wednesday and I am petrified about the prep. I have a fear of vomiting but the prep I was told to use is not that much to drink (Picoprep) mix with 120ml of water and sip over 30min do with 2 more sachets at 6pm and 8pm. I feel I would be cleaned out with 2 sachets as I don’t eat much hence my anxiety with loss of weight. Do you have any tips for me? I have diazapam on hand but definitely don’t want to vomit the prep up.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

The best advice I was given was to use chilled water and drink the mixture through a straw. Personally I found drinking it quickly was better than sipping over 30 minutes, but it really wasn’t difficult to take. It certainly didn’t make me feel nauseous. 

Good luck. 

Jan

• Posted

Yes, although it was previously called Picolax. Other top tips which helped me were to have a plentiful supply of wet wipes, and vaseline or sudocrem to prevent soreness. 

To be honest, the worst part for me was having to drink such large quantities of water, but in the grand scale of things drinking a lot of water is just tedious!!!

Jan

• Posted

There are basically two types of prep: one is a great deal to drink and is the one most likely to make you feel like vomiting because it is sickly (although most people manage it). The one you have is much less medication to drink and is very unlikely to cause vomiting issues. I have had both types over the years. The Moviprep type (huge amount to drink) I can just about finish but I do feel a bit queasy on the very last glass. The other one (which used to be called Picolax) caused no hint of a vomiting feeling. With both types you have to drink plenty of water (or other CLEAR liquids) along the way because you are losing a lot with the clear out. Try to drink the water steadily and not to force it down which will make you feel sick in any situation. You are cleared out by it and that is the idea. But they time it so that the clear out stops before you get the exam. It has to run from you like water I’m afraid otherwise they may not be able to do the test (which is the worst of all worlds because you have gone through most of the prep but still have to do it again on another day). You have to stick by a loo but you have time to get there. It’s very like when you have a gastric bug but without feeling ill although you might feel a bit light headed and it doesn’t have the same griping pain although you do get a bit of discomfort and gas. I’ve had it a number of times now. It’s not something I look forward to but it is not dreadful either. It’s more of a boring nuisance because you can’t leave the house and it makes you feel very empty inside. I would stick with the prescription they give you and not fiddle around with doses. Once it is clearing you out, it turns eventually to water and is just very boring as you go to the loo a lot. The more noticeable bit is the early part when your gut wonders what is happening. It then just settles into a routine. My mother always said a good clear out occasionally is actually helpful to your gut and you do get a spring clean! One little tip: get some soft loo wipes and some Vaseline or a bit of cream to stop getting sore and dab the area once it has turned liquid rather than rub it. It’s not a really dreadful experience and much better than a stomach bug, but the thing to keep your mind on is giving them the best chance to look clearly at your bowel when you have the test. Good luck and I hope the test results are fine. David.
    • Posted

Perfect advice David, I believe the prepping in the future will be a lot easier. An American company are in trials making smoothies and Chockate bars to eat that have laxatives in them so you eat throughout the day instead of the bad stuff now. But unfortunately 2020 we have to wait
    • Posted

Hi Ryan. My consultant says he even thinks the test itself is not far from changing. I had the pill cam thing recently which was fascinating. You swallow a large size pill and they strap a radio belt to you and you just go home and have a normal day and then hand it all in the next day. The picture quality of the whole digestive tract is fantastic but the only downside is they can’t deal with polyps and things so if you actually have something they need to nip off then you have to go the old fashioned route. Good luck with yours - I have never actually found any part of it as bad as I think it will be. David.
  • Posted

Hi Ryan, everyone has these questions as the prep is not an easy thing. I heard encouraging news, as they have developed a good diet that is the prep, & has the prep ingredients in it. My doctor shared this with me, it looks promising. Let's hope for that. I have prepped many times & well at my age, with having polyps, I had to go every 3 years for a while, so my next colonoscopy will be about # 7. I have new stomach issues, nausea In general and I get full easy. I have to cancel this week's endoscopy, as a tooth broke. I was trying to prepare myself, now I MUST rearrange everything. Start this over again. Why the long share. Well I would like to say after all this time, and complications, I really think you will be ok. I may consider taking the diazepam, and deep breaths. Seriously, this will calm your tummy. I know what that anxiety is like. Addressing it helps. If someone says to me, don't worry, well we all know that does not work. I am not a doctor, but I had asked mine if I could drink my prep in more divided doses. He said yes. I have no choice, rest the stomach inbetween. I would leave plenty of time to be clean, because you don't want to be running to the bathroom on the way there. It brought me comfort to know I had room to adjust the prep a little bit. If you feel terribly sick, to the point of vomit? ME ?personally, would stop and ask maybe for the Osmoprep pills. Those are taken with water, and or your favorite clear liquids. Just some ideas. Over 60% of us are avoiding this test because of the prep. So it is legitimate, your concerns are real. Oh, even with having nausea, I never vomited. And I have a very troublesome stomach. My friend did vomit. We are all different ryan.....Give it a try. Address the anxiety and do your best. That is all any of us can do.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.