Pap Smear Advice?

Posted , 3 users are following.

so I have an appointment in a few days and they’re most likely going to give me pap smear...i have a lot of anxiety and I’m really nervous and I’m about to cancel my appointment even though I really need to see a doctor about other issues...i see people saying it hurt so bad that they couldn't take it while others say its just a mild quick odd sensation. Please tell me a descriptive of everything that will happen 😦

and what exactly did it feel like? Mind you i have had sex before and used tampons so im not a virgin but i still have lots of feeling down there. i hate when ppl say like they "scrape" the cervix because my brain does not allow me to picture nor imagine such a sensation. please be descriptive...did it sting for a sec? burn? feel like a cramp? stab with knife sensation? and do u feel when they go in the cervix like how u would feel if something were to go in ur nose? or like??

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Edited

Hey when i had my smear it was over in about 2 mins. You lie on the bed and she brushes the swab over your cervix it's slightly uncomfortable but I felt no pain at all.

• Posted

Thank you for replying! I've read so many stories of women who had bad experiences which really frightened me. I cannot wait to get it over with. For some reason, my brain won’t let me stop thinking about what this uncomfortable feeling will be like... whether it’s a burning sensation, orrrr if it's worse than the feeling of an eyelash stuck in the eye. Overthinking is the worst!

• Edited

Overthinking is defo the worst. Just try to relax I know it's easier said than done (says me who cried thought out my last one due to health anxiety ha) but I promise it's not bad let me know how you get on 😊

• Edited

Liz please dont stress about this. The most important thing is to relax. A well lubricated speculum will be inserted in your vagina so that the nurse or doctor can get a good view of the cervix and then you may feel a slight sensation, but not pain at all, as the swab is brushed over the cervix. It will all be over in seconds. Just r e l a x.

• Posted

Thanks Marina! My appointment is tomorrow and I'm sweating like a pig. Your reply has definitely put me at ease and i honestly just can’t wait to get it over with. I have a weird vision of me walking into the room and instantly breaking down and crying and I really hope that doesn’t happen. Thanks again!

Love,

Liz.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.