Pap smear test

Posted , 3 users are following.

So I finally plucked up the courage to get my smear test and I went two weeks ago the results came back today all clear and fine 😅

So happy about this as I had convinced my self I had cervical cancer two years of worry and putting the test off ,

But I know want to know when having a smear test done what are they looking for

I know it's cancer cells but what else will show up

I have heard a few ppl say herpes will but will stis show up or anything else apart cancer cells ?Thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi loo52033 I would say yes the girl would pick up on something else going on
    • Posted

Hi ok so there must be nothing wrong with me then STI wise ️Thanks
    • Posted

Also would they pick U up. Something like the batholins cysts as iam sure I av these as there in the place where the cysts appear ,

The problem with these lumps the ️️️️carnt be seen when laying down there visible when in the squatting position

• Posted

They check for abnormal cell growth including cells that have turned malignant. Pap test is usually backed up  by checking for infection - they check vaginal flora to establish if any infections are present that may influence the results of your test. Some STI may be picked up but noty all. In some places they screen for HPV in parallel to pap tests, in most places they don't and it is not that important to do so. x

• Posted

not important as long as you have regular paps every 3 years (or annually if results showed any changes at any time) smile ... just to clarify

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.