Parathyroid hyperparathyroid has anyone had the surgery in the US?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Has anyone had parathyroid surgery in the US and do you have a surgeon you can recommend? 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Yes,  I had surgery in the US, I travelled to Tampa & was operated on for a parathyroid tumour by Dr Norman. The whole experience went exceptionally well & I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend him. Chrissy 

• Posted

Thank you for your response.  I am weighing using him vs a surgeon that comes highly recommended here and can't sift through the online info to see if it's just hype that he is that much better.  I am having other issues and my medical bills are skyrocketing.  Do you mind me asking how much was the whole thing to go there and the surgery and how long did you stay?  Also how far away were you from Tampa and how did the follow up work, did another doctor do it?  Once you decide to have the surgery there how long did it take to get in? 

• Posted

I had Dr., Castillo in Phoenix, AZ. He is VERY knowledgeable about the parathyroid and a super surgeon.

• Posted

Hi,

I had parathyroid surgery 2 weeks ago with Dr. Richard Prinz.  He is in Illinois.  I highly recommend him based on my experience.  It was outpatient. It took less than 2 weeks to get surgery scheduled from time of diagnosed.  I don’t have cost info as I’ve not yet received a billing.  

• Posted

I decided to go with DR Roy Phitayakorn in Mass Gereneral. Had it done a week ago. Was comfortable with him and he was highly recommended. Located in Boston
  • Posted

I had surgery by Dr Castillo in Phoenix, Az. I highly recommend him. 602-340-0201

• Posted

Thank you everyone. I ended up going to NPC in Tampa and Dr. D Ruan did my surgery he was great. He original was in Boston but went to Tampa. I was weighing out NPC, BWH and Mass General in Boston and had a hard time of deciding until my new endo laughed at me for thinking of going all of the way to Tampa since I was so close to Boston where there are so many "great hospitals and it's foolish to go to Florida". After he laughed I said fine who would you recommend and he said "I used to recommend Dr. Ruan as my first choice but he is no longer in the area (he did not know he was at NPC) then he gave me a few other names. I said well "if I traveled to where Dr. Ruan was would you be comfortable with that?" He replied, "absolutely". That's when I said he is now in Tampa Florida at NPC. He was all on board after that.

As I drove out of the city my cell rang and it was the doctor from NPC to do my consult, it ironically was Dr. Ruan I hadn't got a chance to call them yet to request him, I was just assigned to him. So decision was made. I am 10 moths out and feeling much better and younger. I am very happy I got him as a surgeon and I couldn't have been happier with NPC they are all great as are BWH and Mass General.

There are great surgeons everywhere and not all are the right match for everyone so go with your gut on which is good for you. Thank you everyone.

• Posted

Out of our small group of 183 parathryoid suffers on facebook, 4 have had negative results from the NPC. If I had the money my personal recommendation would be Dr Larian, who managed to sort out two of the previous bad operations, the other two found the best surgeon (probably the one one!!!!) in London. Dr Larian is charming and very unassuming and his clinic is in Beverley Hills. Don't put off by the address because I worked out there is very little difference in the costs involved.

• Posted

I just had 3 of my parathyroid glands removed 2 weeks ago by Dr. James Suliburk Baylor hospital Houston TX. I've heard Norman Thyroid Center in Florida is good.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.