Parkinson's dementia.

Posted , 4 users are following.

My husband has had Parkinson's for about fifteen years and is now pretty debilitated. However, he has been diagnosed with dementia recently and the drug rivastigmine has been added to his already substantial cocktail. This is supposed to combat dementia but he seems considerably worse in every way since taking this drug. I am 71 and have had cancer, a hip replacement and am in constant back, knee and hip pain. I am struggling and cannot see a clear path to look after my husband as well as he deserves. I wonder if anyone has experience of this dementia drug and could tell me how it has affected their person.  Susan

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Melvin was just recently diagnosed, but he had the symptoms for a long time beforee he saw a Neurologist.  He is also having dementia, but not on med for that yet.  If your husband is not doing well with this new med., then I hope Melvin will not get it prescribed.  So sorry that you, too, have health issues.  I am 76 and presently in good health.  With the extra time It takes caring for the husband, I just pray that I stay healthy.  I get mighty tired and sometimes depressed, but I feel fortunate in comparison to your situation.  Stay in touch.  God Bless.  Do you have any family nearby?  I do have 3 sons here to lean on.
  • Posted

Some Brief concept about Parkinson’s disease:

Parkinson’s disease is a chronic progressive movement disorder it associates and attacks brain cells called neurons  especial neurons brain part  called substantia nigra , these dying neurons produce dopamine ( chemical neuro transmitter controls coordination &  movement). As the amount of the dopamine of the brain decrease person unable to control movement.

Symptoms that individual Experience:

1-      Tremor of the hands arms legs , jaw , and  face

2-      Bradykinesia  or slowness of movement

3-      Rigidity or stiffness of the limbs and trunk

4-      Postural instability or impaired balance and coordination.

This disease perfect medication of it is unknown and also its cause.

Clinical Research about Parkinson’s disease:

Scientists are exploring the idea that loss of cells in other areas of the brain and body contribute to Parkinson’s. For example, researchers have discovered that the hallmark sign of Parkinson’s disease — clumps of a protein alpha-synuclein, which are also called Lewy Bodies — are found not only in the mid-brain but also in the brain stem and the olfactory bulb. Also Researchers recently studies made found that dopamine can be made by culturing stem cells in the laboratory then the cultured dopamine put into the patient’s brain. This is new method but it is helpful treatment for Parkinson’s disease. 

My Opinion :

what in my opinion this condition is : check again dementia drug you took Previous her side effects . Go to Neurologist to know more about the drug you taken it .     Check  again completely Parkinson signs and symptoms  ,      

Make brain radiology CT scan analysis immediately to check brain fields. is May there  is  some damage problem comes out other faculties of the brain after the Parkinson suffered and effected .  Eat balance Diet  because diet sometimes more crucial than the dosage through combat of the disease 

• Posted

Susan, what meds does your husband take?  Can you list ALL of them.  I, personally, feel that way too many people are getting Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, Lewy Bodies, Dementia, etc... these days.  Just lost my father in law today.  He was taking proton pump inhibitors (Nexium, Esomeprazole, Omeprazole, etc) for 20 years for acid reflux and GERD.  I feel this played a huge part in him and others I know and getting Parkinson's.  It would help all of us if everybody listed all of the meds they are on, no matter what they take the meds for.  Maybe we can figure out a link between meds and diseases if we share all of our info.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.