Paroxetine withdrawal problems

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone. I posted recently that I was trying to taper off paroxetine. So, I've only ever been on 20 max, sometimes 10, but overall for 9 years. So, I went from 20 to 10 for a week then 10 to 5 for a week. That was fine, but then I was meant to go from 5 to 0. Now this was OK at first... but after 5 days of none I began to feel terrible. Uncontrollable crying and irritation and I was so dizzy I couldn't function. I see a counsellor, and she suggested going back to 5 mg as that was the last dose I was taking and feeling OK on, staying on 5 mg till all the dizziness and so on goes, and then tapering down gradually from 5 rather than just stopping. So 5 to 2.5 mg, give that a couple of weeks at least, if that feels OK go to 1.25 mg, same principle, then try stopping that. If problems reappear, back to 1.25, and so on. Anyone, any advice, does this sound sensible? I've gone back to 5 mg already, but just today, not sure how long before it will start to kick in.

Do you think my GP can give me liquid formulation? (I'm in the UK) Otherwise it's going to be hard to cut down the 10 mg tablets which are the lowest amount you can get, apparently - I can quarter them so that will take me to 2.5 but it's going to be hard to halve the 2.5 bits. I do have a tablet cutter though.

Help please!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I was on Paroxetine for 18 years. I quit twice with my own system of gradual withdrawal from 20 to 15 to 10. It took me about 6 months the first 2 times. I always within 6 months had panic attacks again and went back on it. This time, due to high liver enzymes and a dumb doctor, I had been on 25 mg. ER. Probably a man sized dose! I started having full body tremors and worse anxiety after 3 years on this. I went cold turkey 7 months ago. It hasn’t been easy but I haven’t had a panic attack but have anxiety due to a Dr. appointment in a few days to retest the liver enzymes. I am a little less of a pushover these days and have had to eliminate people from my life but I feel much better! My muse is back. 
  • Posted

I would taper even slower.  I know it seems crazy, but these meds are no joke and need to be tapered very slowly.  I have learned that tapering no more than 10% from your most recent dose and holding for 4-6 weeks is the best way to go.  Since you tapered so quickly to begin with, I would hold at 5mg for at least a month or 2 to see how you are feeling.  Hold until all withdrawal symptoms are gone.  You will probably need to get the liquid to make measuring doable.  You may want to google surviving antidepressants-you can find some very helpful information.
    • Posted

Thanks so much. That's really helpful. I've looked at it. The thing is, how to convince my GP about needing the liquid? But I'll ask. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.