Partial Wound closure after pilonidal sinus surgery

Posted , 1 user is following.

I had surgery to excise all pilonidal sinus tracts, I think a total of 4 in all, on November 10th. I have had to see my surgeon once a week until December 21st because the incision is still not fully healed. My surgeon went with the skin flap and complete closure of the incision instead of keeping it open and the incision was rather large, almost 4 inches in total. The bottom part of the incision closed up in 2 to 3 weeks, no problem, but the top half of the incision is still open, and doesn't seem to want to close. My surgeon wasn't worried at first, but at my last appointment he was talking about possibly going back into surgery for debridement. During this time, the part of the incision that is open has been draining mildly to moderately, which my surgeon knows, and I keep it covered and cleaned everyday. My surgeon scheduled an appointment for the 25th of this month, going 4 weeks from the last appointment, but the draining seems to be getting worse now, and my husband says the wound looks like it has gotten bigger. Obviously I plan on calling my doctor tomorrow, but I'm wondering if anyone experienced this type of delay in healing? I don't have any underlying health issues, and I really want to get back to work, but without a clean bill to full duty my work won't allow me back. Should I push for debridement surgery sooner to heal sooner? I'm starting to get really aggravated, especially since when I did this surgery, I was told I should be able to return to work within a month... and I'm now going on my second month of no work.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.