Passed out in work from the pain in my kidney...

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have CKD4 and my egfr is 24. I always have kidney pain but lately its been worse. Thursday i kept feeling dizzy and then Friday in work i was in so much pain I went dizzy and collapsed.

Spent the day in A&E having bloods and a CT scan, which revealed nothing more than I usually do.

I still keep getting terrible pain and getting dizzy.

I had the luxury of my nephrologist popping to see me as I work with him but he simply said "ill reffer u again to maybe had the painful kidney removed"

Ive already had this refferal and the urologist refused to remove the painful none functioning kidney as it may not stop the pain.

What is the point in the refferal and why is it that nothing productive is being done? Feel so fed up.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I too get kidney pains and my eGFR is 8. I was rushed into hospital three years ago and one of the junior renal doctors thought one of the cysts on my kidney had burst.

Now I don't know if you have polycystic kidneys like me but, if so, this may point you in the right direction.

Graham

• Posted

Hi Graham, what does it mean for you?, do u uave dialysis or a transplant? Or do u just live with an egfr that low?

Sorry for questions but its interesting to know yours is that low.

Hope your well and pain free atm.

Steph

• Posted

Hi Steph.

I have personally chosen not to go on dialysis for personal reasons. I am a vegetarian and I also do Yoga three times a week

Graham

• Posted

Wow that is amazing. Do you manage ok like that? I just didnt know people could carry on with egfr that low.

Hope you dont mind me asking.l

Steph

• Posted

Hi Steph,

I do feel grotty some mornings but after this passes I get on with my day which includes dog training, yoga which includes a four mile walk to where my wife teaches yoga.

As mentioned previously I am a vegetarian. I also add COQ10 and Alpha Liopic Acid.

I am not frightened of death so I live my life till I pass over.

Not the way many in my condition would look at life but it works for me

• Posted

That is brilliNt. Its good to hear you manage so well and have such a posotive attitude towards it all.

I hope i can be like that at some point :-)

• Posted

Morning Steph,

I hope all goes well for you sweetheart. Just keep positive and live life to the full as much as possible and paint your own picture.

All the very best

Graham

• Posted

Stephy, perhaps your nephrologist work colleague will refer you to a different urologist/renal consultant this time.  If not, I would certainly be asking for a second opinion.  Can't your GP help here?
    • Posted

Yea I think if I dont get any answers at my appointment on Friday then I will be asking for 2nd opinion.

My mum has decided she IS DEFINATLY (looks like I have no choice in the matter) coming to my appointmemt this time, I can imagine her coming away without knowing whats happening.

I feel sorry for her though as.sge lost her brother, my uncle 3 years ago due to kidney faliure after a long time of having a transplant and dialysis. Think shes panicing.

Thanks for the tip though. Think ill be speaking to GP.

Steph

• Posted

Stephy, I can understand your Mum being worried, especially after the sad experience with her brother.  Hopefully, they will be able to treat you to cure your pain or remove the painful kidney.  I can't quite understand the reluctance to remove a kidney that you say is non-functioning, but I suppose it all depends on the state of the remaining kidney.  After I had my right kidney removed, my left one took over the work of both.  But then it was very many years ago and they've probably learnt so much more now.  Try and stay positive and do let us know how you get on.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.