Pbc and lupus

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have lupus and pbc xxx

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Make sure your doctors are confident in their diagnosis of PBC. Lupus by itself can cause liver disease that can easily be mistaken for PBC. The difference though is that lupus based liver disease is treatable, but PBC is not. PBC will likely end up with a liver transplant at some point. You may need to have a liver biopsy to make the distinction.
  • Posted

What is PBC please
    • Posted

Do you mind telling me some symptoms of that and how it's diagnosed please
    • Posted

Problems with the liver are recognised when blood tests show elevated ALT/AST levels. Usually you will get referred to a hepatologist who will order more blood tests and ultrasound scans of the liver. - This is from my own experience with NASH (Non-alcoholic Stateohepatitis).

Like most problems with the liver, people can experience very few symptoms if any at all even with Cirrhosis. The most common symptoms are dry skin, dry eyes and mouth, sleep problems - most of these problems will most likely have individual causes like eczema for dry skin for example.). Look on the NHS or British Liver Trust websites for more info.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.