PCOS and afraid to use contraception - what should I do?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I am new to this forum having only recently been diagnosed with PCOS. I experienced a miscarriage last year and went 8 months after with no period at all. I am now back to a fairly regular (28-35 day) cycle but have just started a new relationship. My partner would like me to start taking contraception because, well lets face it that is just more convenient (amongst other things). Not long term but for the next 6-12 months. I have reservations about pumping my body full of hormones again, particularly now that it has taken my body so long to recover and my PCOS went undiagnosed having been continuously on contraception since my teens. It is a new relationship so it would be too soon for a pregnancy but I am really anxious about effecting my long term fertility by starting contraception again. I'm 32 and frankly can't afford to wait potentially a year for my cycle to regulate once we decide we are ready.

Anyone been in this situation? Not sure what to do for the best 😦

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

discuss your concerns with your gyno. it is up to you what you decide to do with your body after all. perhaps you can try the mini pill? or can your partner use condoms?

again, a gyno is your best bet.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.